Bullet pendulum problem w/ Calculus - AP Physics C

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and its solution involving equations such as p = m * v, K = .5 * m * v^2, U = m * g * h, a = dv/dt, and v = dx/dt. The individual is having trouble understanding the solution and the integration process, but eventually arrives at the correct answer for position by using indefinite integrals and taking the limit as time approaches infinity.
OtherWindow

Homework Statement

See problem here:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x153/spl10246/problem.png

Solution:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x153/spl10246/solution1.png
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x153/spl10246/solution2.png

Homework Equations

p = m * v
K = .5 * m * v^2
U = m * g * h
a = dv/dt
v = dx/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten A and C fine, I'm still working to get B. D is the trouble part.

F_net = m * a
Only force acting is -bv

m * a = -bv
m * dv/dt = -bv

dv/dt = -bv / m

dv = -bv/m * dt

dv/v = -b/m * dt

At this point the published solution makes no sense to me at all. I am used to just putting an indefinite integral on both sides at this point. My confusion is about the bounds. Why is the left side v_0 to v?

I understand the steps after setting up the integrals (including evaluating the integrals and using log properties and so on).

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay: I finally arrived at the right answer by just using indefinite integrals and including a constant of integration that I solved for. That got me v(t) = v_0 * e ^ (-bt/m)

Then I did the same thing to get position from velocity, and used indefinite integrals again...
I got position = m*v_0 / b * (1 - e^(-bt/m))

Taking the limit as t-> infinity (b/c the block never fully stops, v(t) has no zeros but does a horizontal asymptote) yields m*v_0/b, which is the answer.

1. What is a bullet pendulum problem in AP Physics C?

A bullet pendulum problem in AP Physics C refers to a type of physics problem where a bullet is fired into a pendulum, causing it to swing and transfer energy. This problem typically involves using calculus to analyze the motion and energy of the system.

2. How do you solve a bullet pendulum problem in AP Physics C?

To solve a bullet pendulum problem in AP Physics C, you first need to set up equations of motion for the bullet and the pendulum. Then, using calculus, you can find the velocity, position, and energy of the system at various points in time. Finally, you can use these values to answer specific questions about the problem, such as finding the maximum height of the pendulum swing or the final velocity of the bullet.

3. What concepts from calculus are used in a bullet pendulum problem?

In a bullet pendulum problem, you will typically use concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and the chain rule to analyze the motion and energy of the system. You may also need to apply the laws of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a bullet pendulum problem?

One common mistake when solving a bullet pendulum problem is forgetting to account for the mass of the bullet in the equations of motion. Another mistake is not correctly setting up the system of equations or not using the correct units for the variables. It's also important to carefully consider the initial conditions and any assumptions made in the problem.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the bullet pendulum problem?

Yes, the bullet pendulum problem has real-world applications in fields such as ballistics and engineering. It can be used to study the motion and energy of objects in collisions and can help engineers design safer structures and vehicles. It also has applications in understanding projectile motion and the behavior of pendulums in various scenarios.