1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bungee Jumper Physics Lab Question

1. May 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,
    So I have a final lab in my college physics class. And the lab procedure is as follows:
    Note: The measured mass of the Bungee jumper is 0.25837 kilograms (258.37 grams).
    I have attached my data as an Excel file:
    View attachment AP Physics Post Lab.xls .
    My question is, what formula does k follow (it is most definitely not linear)?

2. Relevant equations
    Thus, once I find k, it should hopefully be easy to compute this minimum height using energy considerations (please let me know if I am somehow wrong):
    [tex]U_i + K_i = U_f + K_f[/tex],
    Since the object is released from rest,
    [tex]mg(h_{min}-{L_0}) = mg(0.05)+0.5k(h_{min}-0.05-L_0)^2[/tex],
    where [tex]h_{min}[/tex] is the minimum height (the thing I need to calculate), m is the mass of the jumper = 0.25837 kg. [tex]L_0[/tex] is the initial length of the bungee which I measured to be 0.395 meters.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the attached Excel file I included a graph of the empirical computation of k (y-axis) versus the attached mass in kilograms (x-axis). As you can see, k asymptotically approaches 4 N/m, but is non-linear. I estimate k to be around 7 N/m if the bungee jumper is attached.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

flouran: I don't think I would bother with computing k, for the main calculations, although k is informative (for information only).

Your empirical data, although extremely coarse, suggests that a better regression would be P(x) = 17.24*x/(1 + 4.786*x - 1.886*x^2), where P(x) = applied force (N) as a function of x, and x = deflection (m). Thus, U11 + K1 = U12 + K2 + U22, where U1 = potential energy, and U2 = strain energy. Therefore,

m*g*h1 + 0 = m*g*h3 + 0 + integral[P(x)*dx],

where h1 = jumper initial height above ground, h3 = jumper final height above ground, and the integral is integrated from 0 to h2 - h3, where h2 = height of unstretched bungee cord lower end above ground (the unknown). Unless you can find an analytic solution to the above integral, which I did not attempt, you could solve the problem numerically, by trial and error, if you wish.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook