Bungee jumper(Conservation of mechanical energy)

In summary, the problem involves a bungee jumper with an unstressed cord length of 50m and a bridge 310m above the river. The jumper is modeled as a point particle with negligible air resistance. The equations used are 1/2kx^2 for elastic potential, mgh for gravitational potential, and 1/2mv^2 for kinetic energy. To find the maximum velocity, kinetic energy must be included in the equation and solved for when the sum of gravitational potential energy and spring energy is smallest. There may be no solution for when the jumper comes to rest due to the lack of damping.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

The Royal Gorge bridge over the Arkansas River is 310 m above the river. A 60-kg bungee jumper has an elastic cord with an unstressed length of 50 m attached to her feet. Assume that, like an ideal spring, the cord is massless and provides a linear restoring force when stretched. The jumper leaps, and at at her lowest point she barely touches the water. After numerous ascents and descents, she comes to rest at a height h above the water. Model the jumper as a point particle and assume that any effects of air resistance are negligible.

Homework Equations

1/2kx^2 is the elastic potential
mgh is grav potential
1/2mv^2 is KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the river to be my zero potential height, so before the jumper goes, she has an initial gravitational potential of mgh where h is 310m. At the bottom, when she barely touches the water, she has an elastic potential of 1/2kx^2, where x is 310-50=260. So I solved for k. getting 5.392899 N/m

Now when she has oscillated a bit and has finally come to a stop, she has gravitational and elastic potential. So this is what I solved for:

[tex]mgh_{initial}=\frac{1}{2}k(h-260)^2 +mgh[/tex] The h in the left hand side of the eqn is 310, I tried to solve for h in the right hand side but I got back to zero as an answer. So am I setting up wrong?

Also I need to find the max velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming an ideal spring with no damping, h=0 (and h=310) would be the only point where the sum of gravitational potential energy and spring energy equal the initial gravitational potential energy. That is because those are the only two points where there is no kinetic energy! You need to include a term for kinetic energy in the right side of your equation to complete describe the particle.

And assuming conservation of energy, kinetic energy would be greatest when the sum of gravitational potential energy and spring energy is smallest.

Are you supposed to solve h for when she comes to rest? Because assuming there is no wind resistance, it doesn't seem like there would be any damping to include in the equation, and she never actually would come to rest.

What is the conservation of mechanical energy in relation to bungee jumping?

The conservation of mechanical energy in bungee jumping refers to the principle that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant, meaning that energy cannot be created or destroyed. In the context of bungee jumping, this means that the initial potential energy from the jumper's height is converted into kinetic energy as they fall, and then back into potential energy as they are pulled back up by the bungee cord.

How does the conservation of mechanical energy affect the safety of bungee jumping?

The conservation of mechanical energy is essential for ensuring the safety of bungee jumping. The bungee cord is designed to stretch and absorb the potential energy of the jumper, converting it into kinetic energy and preventing them from hitting the ground. Without this conservation of energy, the jumper could potentially hit the ground with a dangerous amount of force.

What factors can impact the conservation of mechanical energy in bungee jumping?

The two main factors that can impact the conservation of mechanical energy in bungee jumping are the height of the jump and the elasticity of the bungee cord. A higher jump will result in a greater amount of potential energy, and a more elastic bungee cord will be able to absorb and convert more of that energy into kinetic energy. Other factors such as weight and air resistance can also play a role.

What happens if there is a loss of mechanical energy in bungee jumping?

If there is a loss of mechanical energy in bungee jumping, it could result in a dangerous situation for the jumper. This could occur if the bungee cord breaks or if there is a miscalculation in the length and elasticity of the cord. In this case, the jumper could potentially hit the ground with a significant amount of force, causing injury or even death.

How is the conservation of mechanical energy calculated in bungee jumping?

The conservation of mechanical energy in bungee jumping can be calculated by using the formula E = mgh, where E is the total mechanical energy, m is the mass of the jumper, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the jump. This equation takes into account the potential energy and kinetic energy of the system and shows how they are equal and opposite, thereby conserving mechanical energy.