Find the Function of a Bungee Cord for Egg Drop

In summary, the conversation is about a physics homework problem involving calculating the required length of a bungee cord to safely drop an egg from a given height. The problem is complicated by the fact that Hooke's Law does not apply to the non-linear bungee cord, so an experimental approach must be taken to determine the function for the cord's elasticity. The conversation includes attempts to plot a graph and find an equation, but the final solution does not match the results from an experiment. The conversation ends with a suggestion to keep trying and show work for someone to check the math.
larso5

Homework Statement

For my Calc based Physics class we will be given an egg, a required height and a bungee cord (non-linear). We're to have already come up with a formula for this bungee cord to compute the required length so that we'll be able to drop the egg from the height and come as close to the ground as possible without the egg breaking.

The problem is that Hooke's Law does not apply since the bungee cord is a non-linear spring. I assume we'll have to expirement to find the function of the bungee cord.

We attempted this by running the cord horizontally on a track with a frictionless cart attached, and used a force-meter and motion detector to measure force versus position. Using a computer program we then attempted to plot the graph and find the equation. However the one we got was incorrect. We had a quintic equation, and I'm not sure that this is the right power...

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That did help a little.

I was mostly looking for an experimental way to find the function f(x) that would describe the elasticity of the cord. Like the one you got for "P(x)" in that thread.

Like I said we had a cart on a horizontal track, with a bungee cord connected to it and to force meter. At the opposite end of the track was a motion detector (to read position). We pulled the cart along the track measuring the force applied and used the motion detector to measure the distance we pulled. We then graphed Force vs. Position and got a curve. This was a quintic curve. However, after integrating the function and doing the algebra involved in Ui + Ki = Uf + Kf + Wbungee (integral of f(x)) to find a velocity. The solution we arrived at was different from that which we got after running an experiment of pulling back a certain distance to find a certain velocity.

I know that might be confusing, but I don't have the exact data on me... If you can help any more I'd appreciate. I really think that if we knew how to find the function f(x) for the elasticity of the bungee we'd be all set, but I'm not sure how to do that...

Again, thank you!

larso5: Somehow, somewhere along the way, it appears someone did something wrong. With no data and no work shown, we don't know who did what wrong. However, keep trying. If you do the regression correctly, and work the problem correctly, as explained in my post in the thread I cited above, and perform the integral as explained therein, it works fine. And the integral, regardless of how complicated, is easy to solve numerically. Show your work, and then someone might check your math.

1. What is the purpose of using a bungee cord in an egg drop experiment?

The bungee cord is used as a cushion to slow down the fall of the egg, preventing it from cracking upon impact. It absorbs the kinetic energy of the falling egg and reduces the force of impact.

2. How do you determine the appropriate length of the bungee cord for the egg drop?

The appropriate length of the bungee cord can be determined by conducting trial runs with different lengths and observing the results. The ideal length is one that allows the egg to reach the ground without breaking, but not so long that it touches the ground before bouncing back up.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing a bungee cord for the egg drop experiment?

The factors that should be considered include the weight of the egg, the height from which it will be dropped, and the desired level of difficulty or challenge for the experiment. Thicker and longer bungee cords will provide more resistance and slow down the fall of the egg, while thinner and shorter cords will provide less resistance.

4. Can any type of bungee cord be used for the egg drop experiment?

No, not all bungee cords are suitable for the egg drop experiment. It is important to use a bungee cord made of high-quality, durable material to ensure the safety of the egg and accurate results. Additionally, the bungee cord should be able to stretch and recoil without breaking.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using a bungee cord for the egg drop experiment?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken when using a bungee cord for the egg drop experiment. The area should be clear of any obstacles or hazards, and participants should wear protective gear like safety goggles and gloves. It is also important to have adult supervision, especially for younger participants.