Buoyancy and Archimedes' Principle (Helium ballon and cargo problem)

In summary: This means that the mass of the balloon needs to be included in the calculations. The correct equation would be: mass of balloon + mass of helium + mass of cargo = density of air x volume. In summary, the mass of the balloon needs to be included in the equation when calculating how large a cargo a spherical balloon can lift.
Proleague

Homework Statement

" A spherical balloon has a radius of 7.35 m and is filled with helium. How large a cargo can it lift, assuming that the skin and structure of the balloon have a mass of 930 kg? Neglect the buoyant force on the cargo volume itself."

Homework Equations

So F(b) = (mass of helium + mass of cargo) X 9.8

F(b) = Density of air X volume X 9.8

9.8 cancels out on both sides.

Density of air is 1.29 kg/m^3 so
1.29V = (mass of helium + mass of cargo)

mass of helium = density of helium (.179) X volume

so 1.29V - .179(V) = mass of cargo
V for a sphere = 4/3 (pi) (r)^3 = 1663.2

The Attempt at a Solution

plug that in and I get 1847.8 for the mass, which is WRONG
strangely if I divide that by 2 I get the right answer though... 924, which rounded down would be 920, but I have no idea why id divide it by 2.

I do not know what thing is wrong, and please explain detail. I am an international student.

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to include mass of the balloon in your calculations.

hmm... I don't know what you mean. Could you explain more easier to me?
Well.. Actually, I don't know where should I put mass of the balloon.

Could you write a equation exactly include mass of the balloon?

Before balloon can lift anything else, it has to lift itself.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object by a fluid, such as water or air. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does Archimedes' Principle relate to buoyancy?

Archimedes' Principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle helps explain why objects float or sink in a fluid.

3. Can a helium balloon float in any fluid?

No, a helium balloon can only float in fluids that are less dense than the helium gas inside the balloon. For example, a helium balloon will not float in water because water is more dense than helium.

4. How does the weight of the cargo affect the buoyancy of a ship?

The weight of the cargo affects the buoyancy of a ship by changing its overall density. As more cargo is added, the ship becomes heavier and sinks lower into the water, displacing more water and increasing its buoyant force.

5. Can an object ever have negative buoyancy?

Yes, an object can have negative buoyancy if it is denser than the fluid it is placed in. This means that the weight of the object is greater than the buoyant force exerted by the fluid, causing it to sink.