Buoyancy and Archimedes' Principle (helium ballon carrying cargo), HELP

In summary, the question involves calculating the weight of a cargo that a spherical balloon filled with helium can lift. The balloon has a radius of 7.35 m and a mass of 930 kg. Using the formula for buoyant force, we can set the weight of the helium and cargo equal to the weight of the balloon, which is 930 kg. Solving for the volume, we get a value of 1663.2 for the volume of the balloon. However, we must also subtract the weight of the balloon from this value, which results in a mass of 920 kg for the cargo.
confusedbyphysics
I can not figure this out for the life of me! I know the answer is 920 kg, but I have to know how to get there so I can do my WebAssign problem!

Here's the problem:

" A spherical balloon has a radius of 7.35 m and is filled with helium. How large a cargo can it lift, assuming that the skin and structure of the balloon have a mass of 930 kg? Neglect the buoyant force on the cargo volume itself."

So the buoyant force must = the weight of the helium plus the weight of the balloon

So F(b) = (mass of helium + mass of cargo) X 9.8

F(b) = Density of air X volume X 9.8

9.8 cancels out on both sides.

Density of air is 1.29 kg/m^3 so
1.29V = (mass of helium + mass of cargo)

mass of helium = density of helium (.179) X volume

so 1.29V - .179(V) = mass of cargo
V for a sphere = 4/3 (pi) (r)^3 = 1663.2

plug that in and I get 1847.8 for the mass, which is WRONG
strangely if I divide that by 2 I get the right answer though... 924, which rounded down would be 920, but I have no idea why id divide it by 2..

someone help please (i hope this makes some sense, I don't think I am making sense to myself, lol)

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to subtract off the 930 kg weight of the balloon skin and structure!

Oh crap, you're right

Wow I feel stupid. Thanks Halls of Ivy (I'm going to go hide now LOL)

1. How does buoyancy work?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid (such as air or water). This force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will float; if it is more dense, it will sink.

2. What is Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle states that the buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is the basis for understanding the concept of buoyancy.

3. How does a helium balloon carry cargo?

A helium balloon carrying cargo works by utilizing the principle of buoyancy. The helium inside the balloon is less dense than the surrounding air, so it experiences an upward force. This force allows the balloon to lift and carry the cargo attached to it.

4. What factors affect buoyancy?

The factors that affect buoyancy include the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the weight of the object. The more dense the fluid is, the greater the buoyant force will be. Similarly, the greater the volume of the object, the greater the buoyant force will be. Finally, the weight of the object will also affect the buoyant force, as a heavier object will displace more fluid and experience a greater buoyant force.

5. Can the buoyant force ever be greater than the weight of the object?

No, the buoyant force can never be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. If the buoyant force were greater than the weight of the object, the object would experience a net upward force and would continue to accelerate upwards until it reached the surface of the fluid.