1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy and Archimedes' Principle (helium ballon carrying cargo), HELP!

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1
    I can not figure this out for the life of me! I know the answer is 920 kg, but I have to know how to get there so I can do my WebAssign problem!

Here's the problem:

" A spherical balloon has a radius of 7.35 m and is filled with helium. How large a cargo can it lift, assuming that the skin and structure of the balloon have a mass of 930 kg? Neglect the buoyant force on the cargo volume itself."

So the buoyant force must = the weight of the helium plus the weight of the balloon

So F(b) = (mass of helium + mass of cargo) X 9.8

F(b) = Density of air X volume X 9.8

9.8 cancels out on both sides.

Density of air is 1.29 kg/m^3 so
    1.29V = (mass of helium + mass of cargo)

mass of helium = density of helium (.179) X volume

so 1.29V - .179(V) = mass of cargo
    V for a sphere = 4/3 (pi) (r)^3 = 1663.2

plug that in and I get 1847.8 for the mass, which is WRONG
    strangely if I divide that by 2 I get the right answer though... 924, which rounded down would be 920, but I have no idea why id divide it by 2..

someone help please (i hope this makes some sense, I dont think Im making sense to myself, lol)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You forgot to subtract off the 930 kg weight of the balloon skin and structure!!
  4. Nov 12, 2005 #3
    Oh crap, you're right

Wow I feel stupid. Thanks Halls of Ivy (I'm going to go hide now LOL)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?