Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bus Cannon

1. Dec 12, 2008 #1
    Hello~

Given the average full size bus is 50,000 Kg, how much propulsion would I be required to launch said bus, let's say: 200 feet?

I have drawn a schematic to get you started:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

Grey hound , Trail way or School bus?
    seriously. it takes 490 lbs. of powder to throw a 1200 lbs. shell 26 miles..14 inch dia. barrel
    this is old powder technology..new stuff has far better ballistics tables..
    but should give ya an idea...

4. Dec 12, 2008 #3
    [​IMG]

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    M.E.T.A.~

This made my day!! I didn't realize such a wonderfully detailed reply was given to my silly message. This was clearly a drunken evening for me. That said, the bus cannon will now become my life's work. Thanks to you, sir! Haha!

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
  7. Oct 17, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Building a cannon large enough for the bus to fit in might prove a bit daunting. It would likely cost in the multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars to have it machined or cast. It's not something that you can cobble together in your garage.
    The trebuchet, though... once you've heaved a couple of cows across county lines, what's a bus? :biggrin:

8. Oct 17, 2009 #7
    Well Revelare, (1) your drawing made me smile; (2) you had asked a question that I could actually answer (for a change), and (3) perhaps it was a drunken evening for me, too.

That car trebuchet is a pretty hefty beast, isn't it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?