Launching a 50,000 Kg Bus - Calculating Propulsion Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of launching a bus using either a cannon or a trebuchet. The estimated cost and feasibility of each method is also mentioned.
Revelare
Hello~

Given the average full size bus is 50,000 Kg, how much propulsion would I be required to launch said bus, let's say: 200 feet?

I have drawn a schematic to get you started:

[URL=http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=buscannonfe2.png][PLAIN]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/452/buscannonfe2.th.png[/URL][/PLAIN]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Grey hound , Trail way or School bus?
seriously. it takes 490 lbs. of powder to throw a 1200 lbs. shell 26 miles..14 inch dia. barrel
this is old powder technology..new stuff has far better ballistics tables..
but should give you an idea...

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2412/buscannonps5.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
M.E.T.A.~

This made my day! I didn't realize such a wonderfully detailed reply was given to my silly message. This was clearly a drunken evening for me. That said, the bus cannon will now become my life's work. Thanks to you, sir! Haha!

This trebuchet video shows cars being launched
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/02/car_trebuchet_video.html [Broken]
It could be modified to launch a bus.
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Building a cannon large enough for the bus to fit in might prove a bit daunting. It would likely cost in the multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars to have it machined or cast. It's not something that you can cobble together in your garage.
The trebuchet, though... once you've heaved a couple of cows across county lines, what's a bus? :biggrin:

Well Revelare, (1) your drawing made me smile; (2) you had asked a question that I could actually answer (for a change), and (3) perhaps it was a drunken evening for me, too.

That car trebuchet is a pretty hefty beast, isn't it?

1. How much propulsion is needed to launch a 50,000 Kg bus?

The amount of propulsion needed to launch a 50,000 Kg bus depends on several factors, including the bus's weight, the distance it needs to travel, and the type of propulsion system being used. To calculate the exact amount, a thorough understanding of the bus's specifications and the laws of physics is necessary.

2. What type of propulsion is best for launching a 50,000 Kg bus?

The best type of propulsion for launching a 50,000 Kg bus will depend on the specific needs and goals of the launch. Some common propulsion options include chemical rockets, electric propulsion, and solid rocket boosters. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, so careful consideration is needed to determine the best option.

3. How long will it take to launch a 50,000 Kg bus with the necessary propulsion?

The time it takes to launch a 50,000 Kg bus with the necessary propulsion will vary depending on the propulsion system being used and the distance the bus needs to travel. Factors such as atmospheric conditions and external forces can also affect the launch time. A detailed calculation and simulation will provide a more accurate estimate.

4. Is it possible to launch a 50,000 Kg bus without any propulsion?

No, it is not possible to launch a 50,000 Kg bus without any propulsion. According to Newton's Third Law of Motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that a force is needed to move any object, including a bus. Without propulsion, the bus would not be able to overcome the force of gravity and move forward.

5. How can I calculate the exact amount of propulsion needed for a 50,000 Kg bus launch?

To calculate the exact amount of propulsion needed for a 50,000 Kg bus launch, you will need to use mathematical equations that take into account the bus's weight, the distance it needs to travel, and the type of propulsion system being used. These calculations may also require knowledge of other factors such as air resistance and the bus's acceleration rate. It is recommended to consult with a physicist or engineer for accurate and precise calculations.