Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush is evolutionist

Do you believe in evolution?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2008.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    96.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Only micro evolution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    I do not "believe" in evolution in the same way Mr. Bush "believes" in his religion. I simply accept the fact of evolution due the the massive amount of converging evidence for evolution as a general conclusion.

Would you ask someone if they "believe" in the atomic theory, for instance? Its not a belief, its knowledge, really. Furthermore, there is no such thing as an "evolutionist". Would you call someone who accepts the atomic theory or Newtonian mechanics as an atomist, a Newtonist or a gravitationalist? Naturally, there is no fundamental difference in mechanism between the so-called "microevolution" and the so-called "macroevolution" other than time.

I would also like to congratulate Mr. Bush for finally coming to terms with that particular aspect of biology.

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe that the Theory of Evolution is valid.

I also believe Bush when he says that he is "way out of my lane, here." That goes for just about anything, right?

5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I agree with Moridin that the poll question is poorly stated.

6. Dec 10, 2008 #5
    Have you studied the evidence yourself, or are you just assuming that the scientists know?

It's perfectly OK IMO to say evolutionist. Yes, you could also use the term 'gravitationalist'.

7. Dec 10, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well stated!

And, yes, there is a problem with using the term evolutionist, especially in context of a poll asking about belief.

With regard to evolutionary theory, I am convinced that the conclusions drawn from the evidence presented are valid with regard to the overall conclusion that evolution does occur. There is wonderfully exciting work happening in genetics, specifically the field of epigenetics, that might provide new insight into the mechanisms of HOW evolution happens, and how quickly it can happen.

8. Dec 10, 2008 #7
    "Do you have faith in evolution?" would have been a bad way to put it. Faith is belief without evidence. We cannot know anythihg for sure, can we? So ultimately everything comes down to belief. There is a big difference, however, between beliefs based on observations and beliefs based on nothing.

9. Dec 10, 2008 #8
    We think that evolution is right, not believe. Humans have a tendency to believe in just about anything without taking the time to look at evidence.

10. Dec 10, 2008 #9
    What's your definition of 'belief'?

11. Dec 10, 2008 #10
    Any of the correct ones: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/belief

An opinion or conviction, confidence in an unprovable statement, faith, or religious tenets. None of them apply.

12. Dec 10, 2008 #11
    OK, so belief = faith? Then belief is not interesting at all.

13. Dec 10, 2008 #12

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I accept evolution, gravitation, the germ theory of disease, Mendelian genetics, and special relativity. I accept some basic forms of atomic theory, general relativity, and quantum mechanics, without fully understanding how they interact or over what domains they apply. I am unconvinced (but not hostile) toward human-driven climate change. I am deeply skeptical about M-theory. I doubt that many traditional herbal remedies are effective. I reject astrology, homeopathy, phrenology, distance healing, and other pseudosciences.

14. Dec 10, 2008 #13
    I don't need to believe.

15. Dec 10, 2008 #14
    i believe in intelligent evolutional design

16. Dec 10, 2008 #15
    That's an oxymoron.

Well, technically you're right. You "believe" in intelligent evolutional design, because that's NOT evolution. So you'd have to believe in it.

17. Dec 10, 2008 #16
    so you think evolution is not intelligent, but stupid?

18. Dec 10, 2008 #17
    I think that anthropomorphizing an essentially stochastic process is either intellectually lazy, dishonest, or foolish. Take your pick.

19. Dec 10, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

link in the op

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml

When are people going to realize that one can't believe anything the man says?

I'll bet the fundamentalists are grabbing their sick bags.

20. Dec 10, 2008 #19
    for a stochastic process, it sure has a lot of determinism

21. Dec 10, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really, how is that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?