Business major going into engineering management. Practical?

In summary, the conversation discusses the practicality of getting a masters degree in engineering management without an undergraduate degree in engineering. The speaker believes it may be a mistake, as companies typically prefer engineers in engineering management positions. However, the conversation also mentions that some companies, such as Chrysler, may be more open to hiring non-engineers as managers. The question is raised as to whether an MBA would be a better option, and it is also noted that many managers in science and engineering departments have liberal arts degrees. Overall, the speaker advises caution and suggests considering a general management degree instead.
whiteg
Hi, I am a business administration major at a liberal arts private college in Missouri. I am less than a year from graduation and want to go into an engineering management masters program after this. It was extremely tough to find a program that would accept a non-technical major but I managed to find a few. My question is how practical would it be to get my masters in engineering management even though I don't have an engineering undergrad degree? It seems as though engineering firms or whoever would rather have an actual engineer working in management and not a business major. Would engineering employers want to hire a business guy with a masters in engineering management but no experience in engineering? I would appreciate any help with this! I don't want to waste my time getting the masters degree if they don't want someone that isn't an engineer! thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion it would be a mistake on your part. Engineering management degrees usually involve at least 30 credits of technical courses for a maters, or that's the way my school works anyway. These courses usually involve math courses(fourier transforms, vector calc, diff-eq, etc) along with many systems courses like system optimization and numerical methods. If you think you can handle these courses then go for it.

Most companies won't put a non-engineer into an engineering management position. You need to know the science and physics along with the bureaucracy. You could probably get a job at Chrysler though, they will make anyone a manager.

Topher925 said:
You could probably get a job at Chrysler though, they will make anyone a manager.

Or the Government! :rofl:

CS

whiteg said:
Hi, I am a business administration major at a liberal arts private college in Missouri. I am less than a year from graduation and want to go into an engineering management masters program after this. It was extremely tough to find a program that would accept a non-technical major but I managed to find a few. My question is how practical would it be to get my masters in engineering management even though I don't have an engineering undergrad degree? It seems as though engineering firms or whoever would rather have an actual engineer working in management and not a business major. Would engineering employers want to hire a business guy with a masters in engineering management but no experience in engineering? I would appreciate any help with this! I don't want to waste my time getting the masters degree if they don't want someone that isn't an engineer! thanks for the help!

None of the companies I've worked for have had an non-engineer as an engineering manager. However, at the executive level, I've had non-engineers as the VP of Engineering which I found strange.

Why not just go with an MBA?

CS

The other question that begs to be answered is WHY would you want to manage engineers specifically without having previous experience as an engineer yourself. I don't claim to be all that business savy, but I would assume that part of being an effective manager involves a thorough understanding of the work being done by those you manage. Without this, you will be faced with continuous challenges from those you are trying to coordinate.

Choppy said:
The other question that begs to be answered is WHY would you want to manage engineers specifically without having previous experience as an engineer yourself. I don't claim to be all that business savy, but I would assume that part of being an effective manager involves a thorough understanding of the work being done by those you manage. Without this, you will be faced with continuous challenges from those you are trying to coordinate.

Well, you have more business savy than most people appointing CIO/CTOs.

The mid-level engineering managers that I've worked for actually also do engineering. One of their roles is as a mentor to the young engineers and to troubleshoot difficult engineering problems.

I know many managers in science & engineering departments at Universities who have liberal arts degrees. They didn't have "engineering management degrees". It does seems a bit strange to be taking such a degree when you have no engineering experience. Why not just take a general management degree? That should still get you into posts where you may be managing engineers, but without you facing difficult questions at interview. Like "why did you take an engineering management degree when you aren't an engineer?"

What is engineering management?

Engineering management is a field that combines the principles of engineering and management to oversee the technical and business aspects of a project or organization. It requires a strong understanding of both engineering and business concepts.

What are the benefits of a business major going into engineering management?

A business major going into engineering management brings a unique perspective to the field. They have a strong foundation in business principles such as finance, marketing, and project management, which can be applied to the technical aspects of engineering projects. They also have strong communication and leadership skills, which are crucial for managing teams and projects effectively.

What skills are necessary for a business major to be successful in engineering management?

In addition to knowledge in business and engineering, a successful engineering manager needs strong leadership, communication, and problem-solving skills. They must be able to understand and analyze technical information while also being able to communicate effectively with team members and stakeholders.

What types of job opportunities are available for a business major in engineering management?

Business majors in engineering management can find job opportunities in a variety of industries such as manufacturing, construction, technology, and consulting. They can work as project managers, operations managers, supply chain managers, or in other leadership roles within an engineering organization.

What steps can a business major take to prepare for a career in engineering management?

To prepare for a career in engineering management, a business major should consider taking courses in engineering and technical subjects, such as engineering design, statistics, and computer-aided design. They should also gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs. Additionally, developing strong leadership and communication skills through extracurricular activities or leadership roles can be beneficial.