C++ matrix boundary condition problems

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with boundary conditions when looking for a neighbour in a matrix with a class called Lattice filled with objects of type 'Dipole'. The problem occurs when dealing with negative values, but the %xSize function does not seem to be working. The code provided includes a .cpp and .h file with functions that may be causing the issue. The problem is usually seen at the edge of the matrix, particularly the top row. The solution may be to use ((x+xsize)%xsize) instead of x%xsize. The suggestion is also made to learn how to use a debugger to step through the program and identify issues like this in the future.
rolotomassi
I have created a matrix with a class called Lattice. The lattice is filled with objects of type 'Dipole' which is created with another class. The problem I am having is with boundary conditions when I look for a neighbour. e.g If i pick a dipole on the top row, I want its 'above' neighbour to be the site on the bottom row etc...

Below is the .cpp and .h file which contains the functions I am having problems with. Note that the value passed to both functions can be negative. I thought the %xSize should take care of this but still running into problems. I believe the dipole functions are working correctly.

Code:
#ifndef lattice
#define lattice
#include "dipole.h"

class Lattice{

private:

Dipole* dipoleArray;

double E;    // pointing in +ve y-axis V/m

public:
        const int xSize;
        const int ySize;
        Lattice(const int, const int);
        ~Lattice();
        Dipole* GetDipole(int x, int y);  //  return a dipole
        double calcLocalEnergy( int x, int y);

};
#endif///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////#include "dipole.h"
#include "lattice.h"
#include <cmath>
#include <cstdlib>
#include<iostream>
Lattice::Lattice(const int xSize, const int ySize): xSize(xSize), ySize(ySize){
    dipoleArray =  new Dipole[xSize*ySize];    //store 1D array list

for(int i=0; i<xSize; i++){
        for(int j=0; j<ySize; j++){
            //loop through the entire array and create dipoles
            dipoleArray[ i+j*xSize ] = Dipole();  // i + j*xSize to mimic 2D lattice form

}
    }
}

Dipole* Lattice::GetDipole(int x, int y){

return &dipoleArray[ (x%xSize) + (y%ySize)*xSize  ];    // modulo is for loop behaviour
}
double Lattice::calcLocalEnergy( int x, int y){

double k = 1/(4*3.14158*8.85E-12);     double p1=0;     double p2 =0;        double r  = 1E-8;     double energy = 0;
    double E =1e4;    double pZero = 1e-27;    double pOne = 1e-29;

//    std::cout<<"0"<<std::endl;
    Dipole* central = GetDipole(x,y);  // define central dipole in the lattice at position [x,y] given by the argument
                                                    // take modulo because x,y can potentially  = -1 OR xSize for neighbour dipoles
                                                    // modulo ensures neighbours are found correctly
                                                    // for 0 <=  x,y < xSize modulo has no effect 

Dipole* neighbour[4];
    neighbour[0] = GetDipole(x,y-1);         //up = 0, right = 1, down = 2, left = 3
    neighbour[1] = GetDipole(x+1,y);
    neighbour[2] = GetDipole(x,y+1);
    neighbour[3] = GetDipole(x-1,y);
    int myDirection =  central->GetDirection() ;
    int type = central->GetType();
    if(type==0){p1 = pZero;    }    else{p1 = pOne;    }

for(int i=0; i<4; i++){

int neighbourDirection =  neighbour[i]->GetDirection();
        int Ntype = neighbour[i]->GetType();
        if(Ntype==1){    p2 = pOne;    }    else{    p2 = pZero;    }
    //    std::cout<<"1"<<std::endl;
        double    Energy[4][4]=
               {
                {-2*k*p1*p2/r/r/r - (p1+p2)*E, -p1*E, 2*k*p1*p2/r/r/r - (p1-p2)*E, -p1*E },    // ABOVE OR BELOW DIPOLES
                {-p2*E, 2*k*p1*p2/3/r/r/r, p2*E, -2*k*p1*p2/3/r/r/r    },
                {2*k*p1*p2/r/r/r + (p1-p2)*E, p1*E, -2*k*p1*p2/r/r/r + (p1+p2)*E, p1*E},
                {-p2*E, -2*k*p1*p2/3/r/r/r, p2*E, 2*k*p1*p2/3/r/r/r}
               };
        //       std::cout<<"2"<<std::endl;
       double    Energy2[4][4] =
               {
                { 2*k*p1*p2/3/r/r/r -(p1+p2)*E, -p1*E, -2*k*p1*p2/3/r/r/r -(p1-p2)*E, -p1*E },  // RIGHT OR LEFT ENERGIES
                { -p2*E, -2*k*p1*p2/r/r/r, p2*E, 2*k*p1*p2/r/r/r },
                { -2*k*p1*p2/3/r/r/r +(p1-p2)*E, p1*E, 2*k*p1*p2/3/r/r/r +(p1+p2)*E, p1*E },
                {-p2*E, 2*k*p1*p2/r/r/r, p2*E, -2*k*p1*p2/r/r/r }
               };
    //std::cout<<"3"<<std::endl;
    std::cout<<"i = "<< i << "\t" << type << "\t "<<Ntype <<"\t"<< neighbourDirection<<"\t"<<myDirection<<std::endl;
    std::cout<<"x = " << x << "y = "<< y <<std::endl;
            if(i==0 || i==2){
                energy += Energy[myDirection][neighbourDirection]; 
            }     

else if(i==1 || i==3){          
                energy += Energy2[myDirection][neighbourDirection];         
            }     
    }//std::cout<<"4"<<std::endl;
    std::cout<<"4end clac local E"<<std::endl;
     return energy;

}

Lattice::~Lattice(){

delete[] dipoleArray;
}
EDIT:: When it crashes it is always at an edge of the matrix. Usually the top row.
If my dipole is top row, it crashes when I find the 'above' neighbour.
When returning properties of this neighbour, "type" and "direction," defined in the dipole class to be 0,1 or 0,1,2,3 it returns large +ve or -ve values for the neighbour

PLEASE help as I can't see any problems :S

Technology news on Phys.org
I am not sure about the value of x%xsize if x = -1. Try using ((x+xsize)%xsize) instead. And, of course, the same for y%ysize.

I freaking love you! I just assumed negative modulo was fair game. Thanks a lot.

Learn how to step through your program line by line using your debugger, you'll be able to see things like that easily next time.

What is a C++ matrix boundary condition problem?

A C++ matrix boundary condition problem refers to an issue that arises when working with matrices in the C++ programming language. It involves handling cases where the indexes of the matrix go beyond its boundaries, which can lead to errors and incorrect results.

What causes C++ matrix boundary condition problems?

C++ matrix boundary condition problems are caused by accessing elements of a matrix using indexes that are out of bounds. This can happen when the programmer does not properly check for boundary conditions or when the logic of the program is flawed.

How can I prevent C++ matrix boundary condition problems?

To prevent C++ matrix boundary condition problems, it is important to always check for boundary conditions before accessing elements of a matrix. This can be done by using conditional statements or by implementing functions that handle boundary conditions.

What are some common strategies for dealing with C++ matrix boundary condition problems?

Some common strategies for dealing with C++ matrix boundary condition problems include using exception handling to catch and handle out-of-bounds errors, implementing functions that handle boundary conditions, and using libraries or frameworks that have built-in methods for handling matrix boundary conditions.

Are there any best practices for handling C++ matrix boundary condition problems?

Yes, there are some best practices for handling C++ matrix boundary condition problems. These include always checking for boundary conditions, using descriptive variable names to make the code more readable, and using comments to explain the logic behind handling boundary conditions.