What is the Surface Area of a Metal Can for Maximum Volume?

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement is that Maxima and minima are where the first derivative is zero. The surface area of the whole metal for creating the can is 16r-\frac{4V}{r^3}.
Karol

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

Maxima/minima are where the first derivative is 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Surface area of the whole metal for creating the can (the end pieces i take as squares):
$$A=2\pi h+8r^2,~~V=\pi r^2 h~~\rightarrow~h=\frac{V}{\pi r^2}$$
$$A=2\pi \frac{V}{\pi r^2}+8r^2,~~A'=2V(-2)r^{-3}+16r=16r-\frac{4V}{r^3}$$
$$A'=0~\rightarrow~4r^4=V$$
I can't get rid of the volume V

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 653
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to think more about your expression for the area contribution from the mantle area. It has the wrong physical dimension.

$$A=2\pi r h+8r^2=2\pi r \frac{V}{\pi r^2}+8r^2=2\frac{V}{r}+8r^2$$
$$A'=-2Vr^{-2}+16r,~~A'=0~\rightarrow~8r^3=V$$
No good

Note that you are looking for the ratio ##\xi =h/2r## that minimises the area for a fixed volume.

$$\frac{h}{2r}=\frac{\frac{V}{\pi r^2}}{\sqrt[3]{V}}$$
Can't get rid of V

Yes you can. You are not using the information that you have regarding how V is expressed in terms of the ratio.

Likes QuantumQuest
##V=2\pi r^2h~## is the only relation regarding V, so i can't express V in terms of the ratio ##~\frac{h}{2r}##
besides, i used already ##~V=2\pi r^2h~## in ##~A=2\pi r h+8r^2~##, so i can't use it again

Karol said:
##V=2\pi r^2h~## is the only relation regarding V, so i can't express V in terms of the ratio ##~\frac{h}{2r}##
besides, i used already ##~V=2\pi r^2h~## in ##~A=2\pi r h+8r^2~##, so i can't use it again
This is an assumption you make and that assumption is wrong. Why wouldn't you be able to use it again?

$$V=2\pi r^2h,~\xi=\frac{h}{2r},~~V=2\pi r^3\xi$$
$$\xi=\frac{V^{2/3}}{\pi r^2}=\frac{(2\pi r^3\xi)^{2/3}}{\pi r^2}=\frac{\sqrt[3]{4}}{\pi^3}\xi^{2/3}$$
$$\Rightarrow~\xi^{1/3}=\frac{\sqrt[3]{4}}{\pi^3}~~\rightarrow~\xi=\frac{4}{\pi^6}$$
The answer should be ##~\xi=\frac{4}{\pi}##

Your arithmetic is off. The ##\pi^3## is a ##\pi^{1/3}##...

$$V=2\pi r^2h,~\xi=\frac{h}{2r},~~V=4\pi r^3\xi$$
$$\xi=\frac{V^{2/3}}{\pi r^2}=\frac{(4\pi r^3\xi)^{2/3}}{\pi r^2}=\frac{\sqrt[3]{4}}{\sqrt[3]{\pi}}\xi^{2/3}$$
$$\Rightarrow~\xi^{1/3}=\frac{\sqrt[3]{4}}{\sqrt[3]{\pi}}~~\rightarrow~\xi=\frac{4}{\pi}$$
Thank you Orodruin

What is a Minimum/Maximum problem?

A Minimum/Maximum problem is a type of optimization problem in mathematics that involves finding the smallest or largest possible value of a function, subject to a set of constraints. These problems are commonly encountered in various fields of science, engineering, and economics.

How do you solve a Minimum/Maximum problem?

To solve a Minimum/Maximum problem, you need to first identify the objective function and the constraints. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques such as differentiation, integration, and graphing to find the minimum or maximum value of the objective function within the given constraints. This typically involves setting up and solving equations or using optimization algorithms.

What are some real-world applications of Minimum/Maximum problems?

Minimum/Maximum problems have various real-world applications, including determining the most cost-effective production levels in a manufacturing process, finding the optimal route for a delivery truck, and maximizing profits in a business. These problems can also be used to find the best design for structures such as bridges and buildings.

What are the common challenges in solving Minimum/Maximum problems?

Solving Minimum/Maximum problems can be challenging due to the complexity of the objective function and the constraints, as well as the numerous mathematical techniques that may need to be used. It can also be difficult to determine the feasibility of the solution and to ensure that it is the absolute minimum or maximum value.

How are Minimum/Maximum problems related to other types of optimization problems?

Minimum/Maximum problems are a specific type of constrained optimization problem, where the goal is to minimize or maximize a given function while satisfying a set of constraints. They are also related to unconstrained optimization problems, where there are no constraints, and the goal is to find the global minimum or maximum value of a function.