1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc iii question/analytic geometry

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    Given vertices of regular tetrahedron OABC, prove that vector OA + OB + OC is perpendicular to plane ABC...

I've been racking my brain on this one, can't figure it out... would appreciate some help

I thought I'd center it on the origin:
    (0, 0, 0)
    (1, 0, 0)
    (0, 1, 0)
    (0, 0, 1)

A + B + C = (1, 0, 0) + (0, 1, 0) +(0, 0, 1) = (1, 1, 1)
    (not sure if that's right - seems like it would be outside the tetrahedron)

No idea where to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem here is that your tetrahedron isn't regular. Consider triangle OAB. Two of the sides have length 1, but the hypoenuse has length [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. You'll have to choose different vectors.

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    Is there an easier way to do it? Showing that this is true for one regular tetrahedron doesn't necessarily/formally mean it holds for all of them, does it?

Also, even when I switch coordinates, it doesn't work. For example, a regular tetrahedron (... at least wikipedia says this one is regular)

O (1, 1, 1)
    A (-1, -1, 1)
    B (-1, 1, -1)
    C (1, -1, -1)

vector OA = A - O = (-2, -2, 0)
    Similarly, vector OB = (-2, 0, -2)
    OC = (0, -2, -2)

AB = (0, 2, -2)
    AC = (2, 0, -2)

AB x AC = (-4, -4, -4)
    OA + OB + OC = (-4, -4, -4)

And when you take the dot product of those it should be 0 (if they are perpendicular, as they are supposed to be)... but it isn't 0

What's wrong? Also, again is showing it holds for one regular tetrahedron sufficient?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. Feb 9, 2009 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there is, I don't see it.

No, but you're trying to do hear is easily generalized. Instead of trying to come up with a tetrahedron whose sides are of unit length just let the length be some variable, say [itex]a[/itex]. Then *presto* you're working with any possible regular tetrahedron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook