Calculate Acceleration of Automobile at t = 4s

  • Thread starter Thread starter davev
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
davev
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
An automobile moves forward and backward on a straight highway.The graph shows the velocity of this automobile as a function of time.

BIOZAcE.gif


What is the acceleration of the automobile at t = 4 s? (Round to two significant digits.)




a = change in velocity / time



I said the acceleration was zero, because the automobile would be stopped at t = 4 s. This is wrong, however.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
davev said:
An automobile moves forward and backward on a straight highway.The graph shows the velocity of this automobile as a function of time.

BIOZAcE.gif


What is the acceleration of the automobile at t = 4 s? (Round to two significant digits.)

a = change in velocity / time
I said the acceleration was zero, because the automobile would be stopped at t = 4 s. This is wrong, however.

Of course it is wrong. The automobile may be stopped, but acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It's just in between moving forwards and moving backwards. Try that again.
 
Dick said:
Of course it is wrong. The automobile may be stopped, but acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It's just in between moving forwards and moving backwards. Try that again.

The question is asking for the acceleration at exactly 4 s, so if I used the formula a = v/t I would get a = 0/4, which is 0.

The answer is -10, but I don't understand why when that acceleration is reached a second later.
 
davev said:
The question is asking for the acceleration at exactly 4 s, so if I used the formula a = v/t I would get a = 0/4, which is 0.

The answer is -10, but I don't understand why when that acceleration is reached a second later.

It's because acceleration is the slope of your velocity curve. It's not v/t. It's dv/dt, the derivative or approximately Δv/Δt if you pick two points around your point. It's the rate of change of velocity, not v/t. As you almost said to begin with it's (change of velocity)/(change of time).
 
Last edited: