De-acceleration of cars in wreck

• Thread starter mljoslinak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two colliding automobiles with different masses and velocities. Using the concepts of momentum, kinetic energy, and work, the acceleration of the passenger compartment of each automobile is determined to be -130 m/s^2 and 850 m/s^2.
mljoslinak

Homework Statement

Two automobiles of 540 and 1400 kg collide head-on while moving at 80km/h in opposite directions. After the collision the automobiles remain locked together. The front end of each automobile crumples by 0.60 m during the collision. Find the acceleration (relative to the ground) of the passenger compartment of each automobile; make the assumption that these accelerations are constant during the collision.

v=80 km/h
m1= 540
m2= 1400
displacement =.6 m
a1= ?
a2= ?
velocity after collision=9.9 m/s

Homework Equations

P=mv
KE=(1/2)mv^2
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the momentum is constant--(68800 kg*m/s) and the kinetic energy before and after the collision is--(4.8*10^5 J, 9.4*10^4 J). I think that m1*a1=m2*a2, not too sure about that. After that I am not sure how to calculate the de-acceleration without knowing the impact time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your calculations, but I'm assuming that when you calculated the total momentum of the system, you took the direction of velocities into account. As they are in opposite directions, essentially it will be (m1-m2)*v.

How did you find the velocity of the automobiles after the collision?

From what is given, each of the automobiles crumples by 0.6m. So, the work done on each automobile is F1*x=W1, etc.

From the impulse momentum theorem you have the integral of F(t)*dt=m*(delta v). This force is W1/x for car 1 and W2/x for car 2.

Also, you know the work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy (as potential energy here is constant). Thus, you can find the time taken, and the change in velocity for each car and hence the acceleration.

Thanks for the help. I think I solved it:
large car a= -130 m/s^2
small car a= 850 m/s^2 since the sign of the velocity switches.

1. What causes a car to decelerate during a wreck?

During a car wreck, the primary cause of deceleration is the force of impact between the car and another object. This force causes the car to slow down or come to a stop.

2. How does the weight of a car affect its deceleration in a wreck?

The weight of a car can affect its deceleration in a wreck. Heavier cars tend to have more momentum, making it more difficult to slow down or stop, while lighter cars have less momentum and can decelerate more quickly.

3. What role does friction play in the deceleration of a car during a wreck?

Friction plays a significant role in the deceleration of a car during a wreck. Friction between the tires and the road helps to slow down the car, while friction between the car and other objects can also contribute to the deceleration.

4. Can seatbelts affect the deceleration of a car during a wreck?

Yes, seatbelts can have a significant impact on the deceleration of a car during a wreck. They help to restrain the passengers and distribute the force of impact more evenly, reducing the overall deceleration experienced by the car and its occupants.

5. How does the speed of a car before a wreck impact its deceleration?

The speed of a car before a wreck has a direct impact on its deceleration. The faster the car is going, the more momentum it has, and the longer it will take to decelerate or come to a stop. This is why higher speed crashes tend to be more severe.