bnosam said:
Ohh I get it,I think because of double shear on this, the two edge pieces on the jaw will half the force on each, but the middle piece will have the full force so we use that for this stress? I hope that's what you meant.
No, that's not the reason. You're jumping ahead of yourself, again, making things more compliicated than they are.
Forget the
shear and the
shear stress for now, while P is determined.
The problem statement says the in order to determine P, we should use the geometry of the wooden piece and the fact that the
average normal stress is 2 ksi. Not the average shear stress, but the average normal stress. The normal stress
will not occur near plane a-a or anywhere near the ends of the wooden piece where is is held by the jaws pulling on it with force P. We've established that the normal stress will occur in the long narrow piece of wood connecting the two ends which are held by the jaws.
Look, as much as I've enjoyed explaining this problem to you, it's time for you to show some revised work toward a solution.
First, what is the value of P? Answer this question, and then we can go on to find out what the average shear stress in plane a-a is.