1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average shear stress in going between a spliced rod?

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    Problem statement:
    Two 3/4-in.-diameter nylon rods are spliced together by gluing a 2-in. section of plastic pipe over the rod ends, as shown in the figure. If a tensile force of P = 500 lb is applied to the spliced nylon rod, what is the average shear stress in the glue going between the pipe and rods?

Figure:
    345zxbo.jpg

I need help with this problem. I know that {average shear stress} = {force} / {area}. But I am very confused when you take into account this splicing! Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2
    Can you articulate in words what's happening here? For example, what forces are acting on each of the two rods (treated as free bodies)? What is the glue doing?

Chet

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3
    I'm assuming there's some adhesive force acting on the rods, as well as P?? But I'm not sure...

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Cross post, locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook