1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the average shear stress at each pin

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

View image for all details

2. Relevant equations

tao = V/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I went ahead and solved the force at BC and the x and y components at A, but I feel as though my solutions are incorrect. At BC I have F = 825 kN (up and to the left), A_x = 714.5 kN positive, A_y = 247.5 kN downward. I don't know how to solve the pins from here. The correct answer at each pin is 324MPa. I found the area to be 508.94mm^2 but am unable to find what force is pulling on each pin.

Attached Files:

• 7-38.png
      7-38.png
      File size:
      15.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ptguard1: Your area is correct. Your reaction forces are currently incorrect. If you want to show your work, someone might check your math.

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    I recalculated my solutions and found my mistake. F at BC = 165 kN (up and to the right), A_x = 142.89 kN to the right, A_y = 82.5 kN up. The issue i'm having is solving for the shear stress in the pins. I don't understand why all of the pins would have the same result.

For the pin at A, I interpret it as shown in the attached image

I used the equation A_x/Area, but i know that I need the force to be 165kN

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook