Calculate charge on object suspended between capacitor plates

In summary, the conversation involves a request for someone to check over someone else's work and provide feedback on potential mistakes. The problem at hand involves calculating the charge on a 30mg object suspended in a uniform electric field between the plates of a charged capacitor. The necessary equations and attempted solution are also provided. There is a brief discussion on a potential error in converting mg to kg, which is corrected.
PoppletonPlace

Homework Statement

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could check over my work. It is very likely that I made mistakes. If I made any mistakes, could you please tell me where I went wrong? Thank you. I will use this problem to study for my next exam. I have also attached a figure that I created that goes with this problem. Thanks again.

As shown in the Figure, a 30mg object with a charge q is suspended with a light string in a uniform electric field between the plates of a charged capacitor. The capacitance of the capacitor is 1mF, the separation between the parallel plates is 4.0cm and the charge (Q) on the capacitor is 1.25C. Calculate the charge q on the 30 mg object, when the suspension thread holding the charged object is in static equilibrium at an angle of 10 degrees with respect to the vertical.

15mlmv5.jpg

C=1.0x10^-3 F
d= 4.0x10^-2 m
m= 30.0x10^-3 g
Q= 1.25C
θ= 10 degrees

Homework Equations

C=Q/V, E=V/s, q=FE

The Attempt at a Solution

ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0
Ty=mg
Tx=F

Ty=(30.0x10^-3g) * (9.8)
Ty= .294 N

cos(10)= .294N/T
T= .294N/.9848
T= .298535N

sin(10)=Tx/T
sin(10)=Tx/.2985
Tx=.05184N
Tx=F
F=.05184

C=Q/V
V=Q/C
V=1.25C/(1.0x10^-3F)
V=1.250x10^3V

E=V/s
E=(1.250x10^3V)/(4.0x10^4 m)
E= 3.125x10^4 v/m

q=F/E
q= .05184 N/ (3.125x10^4 v/m)
q= 1.658x10^-6 C

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your conversion for mg to kg. Otherwise, your method looks okay.

gneill said:
Check your conversion for mg to kg. Otherwise, your method looks okay.

Looks like the OP used the correct magnitude for mass, he/she just used g instead of kg for the unit designator.

rude man said:
Looks like the OP used the correct magnitude for mass, he/she just used g instead of kg for the unit designator.

Perhaps, but the resulting order of magnitude of the y-component of the tension, Ty, is incorrect.

gneill said:
Perhaps, but the resulting order of magnitude of the y-component of the tension, Ty, is incorrect.

Why? Ty = mg = 30e-3 * 9.8 = 0.294N.

rude man said:
Why? Ty = mg = 30e-3 * 9.8 = 0.294N.

30mg = 30 x 10-3 grams = 30 x 10-3 x 10-3 kg = 3.0 x 10-5 kg

30mg x g = ?

gneill said:
30mg = 30 x 10-3 grams = 30 x 10-3 x 10-3 kg = 3.0 x 10-5 kg

30mg x g = ?

Right you are. That is a mighty light mass! I was thinking 30g, obviously. Thanks.

1. How do you calculate the charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates?

To calculate the charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates, you will need to use the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance of the plates, and V is the potential difference between the plates. You will also need to know the distance between the plates and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates, if applicable.

2. What factors affect the charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates?

The charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates is affected by the capacitance of the plates, the potential difference between the plates, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. These factors determine how much charge can be stored on the plates.

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates?

The distance between the plates directly affects the charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the charge on the object decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger distance between the plates results in a weaker electric field, which can hold less charge.

4. Can the charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates be negative?

Yes, the charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates can be negative. This occurs when the object has a net negative charge, and it is attracted to the positively charged plate. The magnitude of the charge will still be determined by the capacitance, potential difference, and distance between the plates.

5. How can the charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates be measured?

The charge on an object suspended between capacitor plates can be measured using a device called an electrometer. This device measures the electric potential difference between the plates and converts it into a numerical value of charge. The charge can also be calculated using the aforementioned equation Q = CV.