1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate CO concentration at high altitude

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    Question:
    You are cooking in a tent at 17,000ft with outside air temp at -15F. The concentration of CO in the tent is 40ppm. Calculate the equivalent CO concentration in mg/m^3.

First, I converted 17000ft to atm and got 501.5atm, which seems very wrong.

Next, I converted -15F to 247.039K.

I applied the Ideal Gas Law, PV=nRT

I tried to solve for V.

p=501.5 atm
    n(molecular weight CO)=28
    R (should be a constant)=.082056
    T=247.039

I come up with a ridiculous answer. It seems simple, but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2
    Forgot to mention also, (but it's obvious) that the conditions are not at STP. (not 25C, not 1.0 atm)

4. Jun 12, 2014 #3
    Show us how you calculated the pressure at that altitude?

Chet

5. Jun 12, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you think altitude is equivalent to atmospheres? Your calculation assumes that there is a water column 17000 feet tall somewhere.

FWIW, this calculation is OK.

Well, for one thing thinking that the atmospheric pressure at 17000 feet altitude is 500 atmospheres. (Hint: the atmospheric pressure decreases with altitude, although not in a linear relationship.)

6. Jun 13, 2014 #5

SCP

Check your units. At 17,000 ft, atmospheric pressure should be ~500 kPa, or 0.5 atm. If the answer you're getting is off by 3 orders of magnitude, this might be why.

7. Jun 13, 2014 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So why didn't you stop right there?

It obviously is very wrong. When you get an answer that seems very wrong, you should stop and double check. Carrying a bad calculation forward is generally a very bad idea because that bad calculation oftentimes poisons all subsequent results.

That's wrong, too. One atmosphere is on the order of 100 kPa, so 500 kPa is about 5 atmospheres.

8. Jun 13, 2014 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's that damn metric system confusin' everyone again.

9. Jun 16, 2014 #8

SCP

Ah yes. I was thinking in millibars. Silly. In any case, at 17,000 ft you should get pressure at ~0.5 atm (or ~50 kPa).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted