Ideal Gas Law Question: Calculating Final Balloon Volume at High Altitude

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
blackjack18
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
A sealed balloon is filled with 1.00 L of He gas at 23 deg C and 1.00 atm. The balloon rises to a point in the atmosphere where the pressure is 220 torr and the temperature is -31 deg C. What is the final volume of the balloon after it reaches an altitude where the pressure is 220 torr?

If I should use the Ideal Gas Law, Pv= nRT, how do I find the number of moles?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
blackjack18 said:
A sealed balloon is filled with 1.00 L of He gas at 23 deg C and 1.00 atm. The balloon rises to a point in the atmosphere where the pressure is 220 torr and the temperature is -31 deg C. What is the final volume of the balloon after it reaches an altitude where the pressure is 220 torr?

If I should use the Ideal Gas Law, Pv= nRT, how do I find the number of moles?

You are not asked for the number of moles. (Hint: You don't need it either.)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1914382&postcount=14