Calculate consumption, displacement and speed using given standards

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the value of kgf/cm^2 from given values and using tables to determine the diameter of a cylinder and rod. The total consumption is calculated to be 4 dm^3 and the pressure is determined to be 80 psi. The conversation also mentions referring to ISO Standard tables and requesting help to understand the concepts of displacement and speed.
Sophie87
Homework Statement
Calculate consumption, displacement and speed using given standard values in pneumatic cylinders and pipes (ISO 155552 Standard and ANSI B31.3 Standard).

I've been given three tables on different standards in pneumatics and the following values:

Force of advance= 50 kgf

Total Displacement: 3cm

Displacement: 45 seconds

Normal atmospheric conditions include Tn= 20 degrees Celsius and Pn= 1.03 kgf/cm2

The temperature of operation: 10 degrees above the environment temperature (dry-bulb)

From the table of unit consumption, calculate the total consumption and the discharge demanded by the cylinder. Speed of the air in the pipes: as per standards. Speed of the air in the hoses: as per standards. Calculate the diameters of the pipe and hoses. Select the most appropriate standardized piping based on the calculated diameter.
Relevant Equations
kgf/cm^2 = 50/(3^2) = 5.6 rounded up.
I calculated the value of kgf/cm^2 from given values. In the second table (Force exerted by the pneumatic cylinders) I see my value 5.6 exactly but how do I then read the table to get the diameter of the cylinder and then the rod?

I then am stuck on how to calculate the total consumption, displacement and speed of cylinders, pipes and hoses as I didn't learn this in class.

Can anyone help explain this for me?

Below are images of the table standards:

2019-10-25 (6).png
2019-10-25 (7).png

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've worked out that my total consumption is 4 dm3. Is this right? By:

50/(3^2)= 5.555555...6= 5.6 rounded up. For kgf/cm^2

Using force exerted by the pneumatic cylinders table...
Pressure will then be 80 psi.
Pressure/Force= 80/5.6= 14.28571429= 14.3 rounded up. (To get the area of the cylinder!)
The closest force exerted is 64 kgf.
So the diameter of the cylinder will be 1 1/2".

Then using the ISO Standard table...
So the diameter of the rod will be 5/8".
So then I will take 3cm and cube it to make 9 cm^3. I will then transfer that to dm^3 which will be 0.009 dm^3. Closest value is 0.010, which equals to 4 dm^3 of air consumption.

I still don't know about displacement or speed! So if anyone could help explain these that would be great!

What is "Calculate consumption, displacement and speed using given standards"?

"Calculate consumption, displacement and speed using given standards" is a process used in scientific research to determine the amount of a substance consumed, the amount of space an object occupies, and the rate at which an object is moving, based on established standards and measurements.

Why is it important to calculate consumption, displacement and speed?

Calculating consumption, displacement and speed allows scientists to accurately measure and compare data, which is essential for making informed conclusions and predictions in their research.

What are some common standards used in calculating consumption, displacement and speed?

Some common standards used in these calculations include the International System of Units (SI), which includes measurements such as meters, kilograms, and seconds, as well as specific formulas and equations for calculating each variable.

What are some tools and techniques used to calculate consumption, displacement and speed?

Tools and techniques used to calculate these variables may include measuring instruments such as rulers, scales, and timers, as well as mathematical formulas and computer software programs.

Can consumption, displacement and speed be calculated for any substance or object?

In general, consumption, displacement and speed can be calculated for most substances and objects, as long as accurate measurements and standards are used and the appropriate formulas are applied. However, there may be some limitations based on the properties and characteristics of the substance or object being studied.