Calculate final velocity of electric particle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
beeteep
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A particle of mass 7.3 × 10−5 g and charge 24 mC moves in a region of space where the electric field is uniform and is 6.3 N/C in the x direction and zero in the y and z direction. If the initial velocity of the particle is given by vy = 4.1 × 105 m/s, vx = vz = 0, what is the speed of the particle at 0.4 s? Answer in units of m/s

Homework Equations


F=ma
F=qE
v=vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution



m=7.3x10-8 kg
q=.024 C
E=6.3 N/C
F = .024(6.3) = .1512 N

.1512 = 7.3x10-8a
a = 2071232.877 m/s2x = doesn't matter
xi = doesn't matter
v = ?
vi = 4.1x10^5
a = 2071232.877
t = .4

v = vi + at
v = 4.1x105 + 2071232.877(.4) = 1238493.151 m/s

Final Answer = 1238493.151

But the system says it's wrong...
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The system is supposed to count your answer correct if you're within +/- 1% of the correct answer, so I err on the side of caution and put in every digit I have since it did not specify how many significant figures it wanted.
 
beeteep said:
charge 24 mC
Isn't that rather large? Should it be μC?

beeteep said:
v = vi + at
Yes, but not vxi+ayt.
Correction, I meant:
Yes, but not vyi+axt.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: beeteep
Most of the problems I have worked have been μC but I just double checked and this problem definitely says mC.
 
beeteep said:
Most of the problems I have worked have been μC but I just double checked and this problem definitely says mC.
OK, but please see the edit to my previous post.
 
OK. I think I see what you're saying. According to the problem statement, since the vyi is given and there is no force acting in the y-direction, vyf=vyi. Then I'd calculate the vxf with vxi=0 and include the acceleration for .4s which would give me two components to a vector, right? With that, I could take the square-root of (vx2 + vy2) and that would give me the speed?
 
beeteep said:
OK. I think I see what you're saying. According to the problem statement, since the vyi is given and there is no force acting in the y-direction, vyf=vyi. Then I'd calculate the vxf with vxi=0 and include the acceleration for .4s which would give me two components to a vector, right? With that, I could take the square-root of (vx2 + vy2) and that would give me the speed?
Yes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: beeteep
Some heroes don't wear capes. :smile:

Thank you so much for your help!