Calculate gravitational field strength above surface of Mars

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 16K views
TalliThePrune
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
1. Calculate the gravitational field strength at 500km above Mars' surface.
Mass of Mars: 6.39 x 1023 kg
Radius of Mars: 3.39 x 103 km
Constant G: 6.67 x 10-11

2. I used the equation g = GM / r2
3. To begin with I added the 500km height above ground to the radius, giving 3.89 x 103 km. I then converted this to metres, which is 3.89 x 106 m.

So subbing this into the formula:
(6.67 x 10-11) x (6.39 x 1023) / (3.89 x 106)2

= 2.82 N/kg

Is this correct? Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
@andrevdh , did you use the same formula / figures as I did in the OP?

I'm very worried about doing this wrong as I have an exam tomorrow.
 
andrevdh said:
I get 3.71 m/s2 ?

This figure is OK, if you are at the surface of Mars. However, the OP asks for the value of gravitational acceleration 500 km above the surface of Mars.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TalliThePrune
SteamKing said:
This figure is OK, if you are at the surface of Mars. However, the OP asks for the value of gravitational acceleration 500 km above the surface of Mars.

Ah! Thanks so much for clarifying, I was too stressed to spot what he'd done. :-p