Another HELP problem: Steam to Ice

• Thread starter delecticious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Steam
In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of energy required to cool and freeze 127.0 g of steam at 153.0°C into 127.0 g of ice at 0°C. The specific heat of steam is given as 2.1 kJ/(kg·K). The correct equations to use are Q1 = mc(delta T), Q2 = mLv, Q3 = mc(deltaT), and Q4 = mLf. After converting the mass from grams to kilograms, the correct calculation is Q1 = (.127)(2100)(153-100)= 1.4135E4, Q2 = (.127)(2259.36)= 2.869E2, Q3 =
delecticious
Another URGENT HELP problem: Steam to Ice

Homework Statement

How many J of energy must be removed when 127.0 g of steam, at a temperature of 153.0°C, is cooled and frozen into 127.0 g of ice at 0°C? Take the specific heat of steam to be 2.1 kJ/(kg·K).

Homework Equations

Q1 = mc(delta T) <---- c= heat capacity of steam
Q2 = mLv
Q3 = mc(deltaT)<---- c=heat capacity of water
Q4 = mLf

The Attempt at a Solution

first I converted grams to kilograms and got .127kg for the mass then I follwed through with my equations
Q1 = (.127)(2100)(153-100)= 1.4135E4
Q2 = (.127)(2259.36)= 2.869E2
Q3 = (.127)(4186)(100-0)= 5.316E4
Q4 = 4.241E4

I added these up and got a total Q of 1.10E5, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
he had a different problem (that is to say a different problem regarding the same problem) than me, I just need to know if I'm doing it right and when went wrong.

You have the constants wrong.
specifically the heat of vapourisation - the water/steam change should be the largest energy.
Just put you hand over a kettle to find out!

Last edited:
Q2 = (.127)(2259.36)= 2.869E2

Please check units!

I strongly recommend writing units with values, so that one properly accounts for orders of magnitude.

I seriously don't know how I keep messing up my units, but thanks again.

1. What is the process of converting steam to ice?

The process of converting steam to ice is known as condensation. This occurs when the steam loses heat energy and transforms into liquid water, which then freezes at its freezing point to become ice.

2. What factors affect the speed of steam condensation?

The speed of steam condensation is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the steam and the surrounding environment, the surface area available for condensation, and the presence of impurities in the steam.

3. How does pressure affect the conversion of steam to ice?

Pressure has a significant impact on the conversion of steam to ice. Higher pressure can increase the boiling point of water, making it harder for steam to condense and form ice. On the other hand, lower pressure can decrease the boiling point and make condensation easier.

4. Can steam turn directly into ice without becoming liquid water first?

No, steam cannot directly turn into ice without becoming liquid water first. This is because the process of condensation is necessary for the transformation from gas to liquid, and then to solid. Skipping the liquid state would require a significant decrease in temperature, which is not possible in most cases.

5. What is the role of heat energy in the conversion of steam to ice?

Heat energy plays a crucial role in the conversion of steam to ice. When steam loses heat energy, it condenses into liquid water. The further loss of heat energy causes the water to freeze and form ice. Without heat energy, this transformation cannot occur.