Calculate Horizontal Velocity of Jetliner at 233 m/s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
tryton
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A jetliner is moving at a speed of 233 m/s. The vertical component of the plane's velocity is 66.9 m/s. Determine the magnitude of the horizontal component of the plane's velocity.


The Attempt at a Solution


233m/s^2=66m/s^2+x^2=233.189135m/s
66m/s cos(90)=0

I am not really sure how to find velocity from speed without knowing the angle... It's not given that it is 90... I know this is supposed to be easy but I am a beginner.

Thanks for help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tryton said:

Homework Statement


A jetliner is moving at a speed of 233 m/s. The vertical component of the plane's velocity is 66.9 m/s. Determine the magnitude of the horizontal component of the plane's velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution


233m/s^2=66m/s^2+x^2=233.189135m/s
66m/s cos(90)=0

I am not really sure how to find velocity from speed without knowing the angle... It's not given that it is 90... I know this is supposed to be easy but I am a beginner.

Thanks for help
You are almost there:
So its Vx=Vcos(theta)

So then with algebra its: arccosine(Vx/V)=theta...plug in your given numbers..
Theta = 73.3 degrees

Then find the y component with Vy=Vsin(73.3) = 233sin(73.3)=223 so Vy=223m/s

to check this then you would do sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)=V
 
Last edited:
USN2ENG said:
You are almost there:
So its Vx=Vcos(theta)

So then with algebra its: arccosine(Vx/V^2)=theta...plug in your given numbers..
Theta = 73.3 degrees

Then find the y component with Vy=Vsin(73.3) = 233sin(73.3)=223 so Vy=223m/s

to check this then you would do sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)=V

Beat me to it. But yeah do this.