1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle with horizontal velocity and vertical acceleration

1. Jun 16, 2013 #1
    1. A particle moving at a velocity of 6.5 m/s in the positive x direction is given an acceleration of 0.9 m/s^2 in the positive y direction for 2.9 s. What is the final speed of the particle?

2. Relevant equations
    v= vi +at

3. The attempt at a solution

v= 6.5 + (.9)(2.9)= 9.11 m/s

I don't know if the velocity is right. the velocity is horizontal, and acceleration is vertical, so it makes me doubt.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The horizontal and vertical components of the velocity are independent; They should be treated as vector components when you "add" them. The final speed will be the magnitude of the resultant vector.

4. Jun 16, 2013 #3
    so, i have to use the following, vy = viy +ay t and vx= vix + ax t ??

5. Jun 16, 2013 #4

UVW

That's right. Before, you were using v = vy + axt, which doesn't make sense, since those directions are perpendicular. You'll need to take gneill's advice about what to do from there.

6. Jun 16, 2013 #5
    vy = viy +ay t = viy + (.9)(2.9)

vx= vix + ax t = (6.5) + ax (2.9)

how do i get the missing values?

7. Jun 16, 2013 #6

gneill

Initially the particle had only a velocity in the x-direction. So what was the initial y-direction speed? If the acceleration is only in the y-direction, what's the x-direction acceleration?

Hint: zero is a perfectly good value for a parameter :smile:

8. Jun 16, 2013 #7
    so basically

vy = viy +ay t = 0 + (.9)(2.9) and because i have already the velocity of the x direction i can do the v=sqrt( x^2 + y^2) right?

9. Jun 16, 2013 #8

gneill

Yup. That's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted