Calculate initial speed and acceleration given position (on x-axis) and time

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car driving on a straight road and applying brakes at a constant rate. The goal is to calculate the initial speed and acceleration of the car. The relevant equations for solving the problem are also provided.
towng34

Homework Statement

Help! I have no idea where to begin for this!

You are driving along a straight section of roadway (x-axis). You spot a police officer and apply the brakes, slowing down at a constant rate. Your positions (in meters) at successive time intervals of 0.465 s are tabulated below as function of time. (1) Calculate the initial speed (i.e., the speed at t=0, the time at which the brakes are first applied.). (2) Calculate your acceleration along the x-axis, ax.
x (m) 5.00 21.94 38.25 53.93
t (s) 0.000 0.465 0.930 1.395

Homework Equations

x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2
v = v0 + at
v^2 = v0^2 + 2a(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi towng34, welcome to PF.

If t is the successive interval of time, then

x1 = xo + vo(t) +1/2*a*t^2...(1)

x2 = xo + vo*(2t) +1/2* a*(2t)^2 ...(2)

Find x2 - 2*x1 and solve for a. From that you can find vo.

1. What is the formula for calculating initial speed?

The formula for calculating initial speed is initial speed = (final position - initial position)/time. This formula is derived from the equation for average velocity, which is equal to displacement over time.

2. How do I calculate acceleration given position and time?

To calculate acceleration, you need to know the change in velocity and the time taken for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity)/time. You can also use the formula acceleration = (change in velocity)/time if the initial velocity is zero.

3. Can I use this formula for non-uniform motion?

No, this formula is only applicable for uniform motion, where the acceleration is constant. For non-uniform motion, you would need to use calculus to find the instantaneous acceleration at a specific point in time.

4. What units should I use for the variables in the formula?

The units for position, velocity, and acceleration are typically measured in meters (m) for distance and meters per second (m/s) for velocity and acceleration. The unit for time is usually measured in seconds (s).

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate initial speed and acceleration?

If you have a graph of position vs. time, you can find the initial speed by calculating the slope of the line at the beginning of the graph. The slope represents the velocity, so you can use this value in the formula for initial speed. Similarly, the slope of the velocity vs. time graph represents the acceleration, so you can use this value in the formula for acceleration.