Calculate Length of Median on Trapeze (48 cm)

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter GVdig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
GVdig
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
The two non-parallel sides of the trapeze are 15 cm and 13 cm, the perimeter is 48 cm. Find the length of the median.
I don't know anything about trapezes can someone expain how to do this?
View attachment 8192
 
Attachments
  • qQLlbmL.png
    qQLlbmL.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 143
Mathematics news on Phys.org
GVdig said:
The two non-parallel sides of the trapeze are 15 cm and 13 cm, the perimeter is 48 cm. Find the length of the median.
I don't know anything about trapezes can someone expain how to do this?

the median length is the average of the two bases ... let $a$ and $b$ represent the length of each base.

$(a+b) + 13+15 = 48 \implies (a+b) = 20$

can you finish?
 
GVdig said:
I don't think I can, what is 20 exactly?

20 is the sum of the lengths of the two parallel bases ... the median, or mid-segment, is the average (mean) of those two base lengths.
 
GVdig said:
So that's the final answer then.

no ...
slide_31.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator: