Calculate length of wire needed for solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a calculator to determine the length of wire needed to create a coil using a drill. The calculator uses the number of layers, which is not the same as the number of turns, leading to a large result. The correct length of wire needed for one layer is less than 50 feet, while for 100 turns it would be almost 8 meters.
Pepelepoe
Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the length of wire that I need to wound a coil using a spool and wire of known dimensions. I was trying to use this converter but I'm not getting good results:

http://www.had2know.com/technology/solenoid-coil-wire-calculator.html

For instance: with a wire radius of 0.32258 mm (22 AWG), cylinder radius of 12mm, cylinder length of 33mm and 100 layers (which I'm assuming is the number of turns) I'm getting about 1419179mm of length which is about 4656 feet of wire. This number seems exaggerated to me. I really don't care about parameters such as magnetic flux, force or current for that matter. I just want to know the length of wire I need to be able to wound the coil using a drill and not take ages doing it manually. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that the number of layers refers to how many wires there are above a given point on the inner cylinder. So with 100 layers, you will be winding from one end to the other (about 100 turns for the first layer), then back again to the end where you started the winding to put a layer on top of that, then repeat the exercise fifty times.

The length of wire you need for what you want, which is only a single layer, will be less than one hundredth of the length you got. Put 1 layer into the calculator.

Edit. I just read further down on the page you linked and it confirms my guess.

But why layers? What I want is turns. How much length do I need given a number of turns. Sorry, I'm a bit confused about this. Just realized that "layers" are not the same as "turns" like I thought which is why I was getting such a big number.

Sounds like you want one layer, which will be < 50 feet.

Hi did you determined it's about 50 feet? Thanks.

Do you want 100 turns or a 33mm long cylinder? Given a wire radius of 0.32mm, a 33mm cylinder will only hold 50 turns in a single layer, in which case the wire will be just under 4m. If you want 100 turns and only one layer, the cylinder must be about 66mm long and you'll need almost 8 metres of wire.

Pepelepoe said:
Hi did you determined it's about 50 feet? Thanks.

If 100 turns is a mile, and you want only 1 turn, it's 50 feet.

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is commonly used in electronic devices and machinery.

2. Why do I need to calculate the length of wire for a solenoid?

The length of wire needed for a solenoid is important because it determines the strength of the magnetic field produced. The longer the wire, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

3. How do I calculate the length of wire needed for a solenoid?

The length of wire needed for a solenoid can be calculated using the formula L = (µ0 * N^2 * A) / (2 * h), where L is the length of wire, µ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and h is the length of the solenoid.

4. What are the units for the length of wire needed for a solenoid?

The length of wire needed for a solenoid is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm), depending on the size of the solenoid. The other variables in the formula also have specific units, such as Tesla (T) for permeability and square meters (m^2) for cross-sectional area.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating the length of wire for a solenoid?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when calculating the length of wire for a solenoid, such as the desired strength of the magnetic field, the type of material used for the wire, and any additional resistance in the circuit. It is important to carefully consider these factors to ensure the solenoid will function properly.