Calculate length of side of cube

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Omsin
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
How can I calculate the length L of each side of a cubic simulation box with 500 molecules (in Ångstrøm) when I want molar volumes of V1 = 0.6 l/mol?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How many molecules in 1 mol? What fraction of 1 mol is 500molecules? That gives you the volume of the cube in l.
V=l2 will give you the length of a side of the cube.
All you need to do is the Arithmetic -get the units right, of course,
 
1 mole is 6.002e+23 molecules. 500 molecules have 8.3e-22 moles. I am not really sure what you meant after that. Volume = (liter)^2? Isn't Volume[m^3] = [1000* Liter]
 
Omsin said:
1 mole is 6.002e+23 molecules. 500 molecules have 8.3e-22 moles. I am not really sure what you meant after that. Volume = (liter)^2? Isn't Volume[m^3] = [1000* Liter]
My bad. Of course volume is cubed. But the sums are easy, no?
 
sophiecentaur said:
My bad. Of course volume is cubed. But the sums are easy, no?
Sorry, but I am not really sure how to do this.
 
You have already calculated how many moles will be in your cube (8.3e-22 moles as you previously said).

You want molar volume of 0.6 Liters/mol, so if you multiply this number with the moles, you will get the volume of the cube (V) in Liters. Then you can divide by one thousand to get the Volume in m3.

So, your cube's side will have length ## l = \sqrt[3] V ## meters.

The last step is to change meters to Angstroms.
 
Omsin said:
Sorry, but I am not really sure how to do this.
Sorry. I was busy and couldn't get back to you quickly. But @DoItForYourself has sorted you out I think.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DoItForYourself