1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate mass from acceleration and radius

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do you calculate the mass of an object just from the acceleration from gravity and the radius?

2. Relevant equations
    My thoughts were F=GM/r2, then once you find F, you can calculate mass by M=F/A
    G= 6.67 x 10^11
    r = 12
    Acceleration = 2 m/s^2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    (6.67 x 10 ^-11) / 12^2 = 4.63 * 10 ^-13
    M = (4.63 * 10 ^-13)/(2 m/s^2) = 2.31 ^-13 kg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello 10 m/s, and welcome to PF :smile:

Acceleration from gravity due to another object happens to be independent of mass. You are missing an m in your ##F = {G Mm\over r^2}## that, with ## F= ma## goes over in ##a = {G M\over r^2}##.

[edit] compare gravitational acceleration at the surface of the earth:
    G = 6.67E-11 N/(m/kg)2
    M = 5.97E+24 kg
    r = 6.37E+06 m
    g = GM/r2 = 9.82E+00 m/s2

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Feb 27, 2015 #3
    I'm sorry, I still don't understand! What is 10 m/s?
    I didn't think my equations were right, but I really don't know what to try next. I don't know the mass which is really hanging me up.

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10 m/s is 36 km/h, just a corny attempt at humor.

You don't know the mass in what kind of situation ? Could you be a bit more elaborate in the problem statement ?

Apparently you have two "things", 12 m apart, and "something" accelerates with 2 m/s2 ?

6. Feb 27, 2015 #5
    Ha, that is funny!

I'm trying to calculate the mass of an imaginary planet. All I have given to me is the radius (12m) and the acceleration due to gravity on that surface (which is 2 m/s2)

7. Feb 27, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, then you're in business! So the problem statement is:

What is the mass of a planet with radius 12 m (!?), given that the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of that planet is 2 m/s2.

And you have the equation. Is it clear that GM/r2 is not a force but an acceleration ?

It's a very dense planet. Just for the fun of it, calculate the density in kg/m2 assuming its a sphere...

tip: work in symbols (a, G, M, r) as long as you can, until you have a final expression (a = ...) . Then check dimensions and then fill in numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted