What is the correct formula I should use? (measuring g using a swinging mass)

In summary: I think it was 10. This is what I have gotten so far, I will fix the rest tomorrow once I've had some sleep.In summary, @MJNZ1 calculates the gravitational force between two masses by using two formulas, one for the weight hanger and one for the top mass, and finds that the force is 9.81ms^-2.
MJNZ1
Homework Statement
What is the acceleration due to gravity?
Relevant Equations
Formula 1 F = (4pi^2*m*r)/(T^2)
Formula 2 g exp. = (4pi^2*m*r)/(M*T^2) or g = (4pi^2*m*r)/(M*T) ?
Hi,

This is my first post, I hope I have done it right.
IMG_5970.jpg

The top mass is represented as m and the weight hanger M.The image below is my attempt with the first formula 2. I have done it in grams because when I did it in kg's it was not anywhere near 9.81ms^-2...I know it is wrong :)

g exp. = (4pi^2*m*r)/(M*T^2) ...in kg's: (4pi^2*0.02*0.55)/(0.1*4.63^2) = 0.938ms-^2
Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 8.09.41 PM.png

When the teacher was asked by another student for further help understanding, the second formula 2 was given.

This is my attempt at solving for gravity from the example below in kg's: (4pi^2*0.02*.55)/(0.1*4.63) = 0.938ms^-2

g = (4pi^2*m*r)/(M*T)
IMG_5968.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5969.jpg
    IMG_5969.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not very familiar with this type of experiment to measure g, but IF I have understood correctly the experiment, i think that the correct formula is $$g=\frac{F_c}{M}=\frac{m\omega^2 r}{M}$$ which becomes (after replacing ##\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}##, $$g=\frac{4\pi^2mr}{MT^2}$$

Thank you for your reply.

What is w? tried it as Newtons but it didn't work out so well, unless I've entered it in wrong?
Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 9.42.13 PM.png

In the screenshot of the spreadsheet, the cell formula has a 20 where there should be a pi(). This makes the computed values in columns F and K nonsense.
In the hand calculation, (4pi^2*0.02*.55)/(0.1*4.63) = 0.938ms^-2, the 4.63 should be squared, leading to an even lower value.

Where do these data come from? Did you conduct the experiment? Periods of the order of 4 or 5 seconds seem ridiculously long. Usually one counts a number of revolutions, so maybe somebody forgot to divide by the count.

How was it arranged that it was steady state?

In reality, the string would never be horizontal. This leads to a slightly different equation ##g=\frac{4\pi^2mr}{\sqrt{M^2-m^2}T^2}##, but this only makes a small difference here.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Where do these data come from? Did you conduct the experiment? Periods of the order of 4 or 5 seconds seem ridiculously long. Usually one counts a number of revolutions, so maybe somebody forgot to divide by the count.

How was it arranged that it was steady state?
I agree strongly with you here.

Oh, of course. Yes, I did, it was before our two-week break, so I had forgotten and didn't note down the number of revolutions. The 20 was for F1 because I mistook pi for F1 and hadn't changed.

Thank you both for your help! ...it must be getting late 😓

Likes Delta2
I have my doubts regarding the measurement of period. As @haruspex said, periods of 4-5 seconds seem too big for this experiment. Can you tell us how did you measure the period?

Delta2 said:
I have my doubts regarding the measurement of period. As @haruspex said, periods of 4-5 seconds seem too big for this experiment. Can you tell us how did you measure the period?
In post #6, @MJNZ1 indicates it was for some number of revolutions, but, sadly, has forgotten how many.
Of course, I am not going to suggest working back from 9.81 and the other data to find out...

haruspex said:
In post #6, @MJNZ1 indicates it was for some number of revolutions, but, sadly, has forgotten how many.
Of course, I am not going to suggest working back from 9.81 and the other data to find out...
Oh i see well working back from the data i found out that if the number of revolutions is 7-8 then we end up with 9.81 using the formula i wrote in post #2.

Likes MJNZ1
I think it was 10. This is what I have gotten so far, I will fix the rest tomorrow once I've had some sleep.

There was a slight gradient in the string, but it wasn't part of the criteria to calculate for this. I'm just in a basic pre-engineering course because I have been out of school for 16yrs, I guess they just want to keep labs simple at the moment. :)

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 11.00.19 PM.png

Likes Delta2
The slope correction would lift the value of g by about 2%, which gets you usefully closer to the correct value.
What mean do you get?
How are you calculating the confidence interval?

Our teacher set us up a calculator in excel, I haven't done a mean...I desperately need some sleep, lol.

MJNZ1 said:
Our teacher set us up a calculator in excel, I haven't done a mean...I desperately need some sleep, lol.
Looks like the 9.5 number is the mean. The +2% correction would get you to 9.7, so definitely more creditable.
The quoted confidence interval seems to be a bit over two standard errors of the mean. One standard error would be stdev/√(n).

Likes MJNZ1
haruspex said:
Looks like the 9.5 number is the mean. The +2% correction would get you to 9.7, so definitely more creditable.
The quoted confidence interval seems to be a bit over two standard errors of the mean. One standard error would be stdev/√(n).

Thanks, I will do the taught method first and if I get enough time I will also add the equation that you gave in question 4. I will fix up the confidence interval, thanks for checking that. :)

MJNZ1 said:
Thanks, I will do the taught method first and if I get enough time I will also add the equation that you gave in question 4. I will fix up the confidence interval, thanks for checking that. :)
No, no need to change anything re the confidence interval. That depends on the level of confidence specified, and two standard deviations may well be what was chosen.

Likes MJNZ1

What is the correct formula for measuring g using a swinging mass?

The correct formula for measuring g using a swinging mass is g = 4π²l/T², where g is the acceleration due to gravity, l is the length of the pendulum, and T is the period of the pendulum.

How do I determine the length of the pendulum in the formula?

The length of the pendulum can be measured from the point of suspension to the center of mass of the swinging mass. It is important to measure from the center of mass to ensure accuracy.

What units should I use for the length and period in the formula?

The length should be measured in meters (m) and the period should be measured in seconds (s) for the formula to work correctly.

Can I use any mass for the swinging mass in the formula?

Yes, you can use any mass as long as it is consistent throughout your experiment. However, it is recommended to use a small mass to minimize air resistance and ensure accurate results.

What is the significance of using a swinging mass to measure g?

Using a swinging mass allows for a simple and accurate way to measure the acceleration due to gravity. This method has been used for centuries and is still commonly used in experiments and demonstrations today.