Calculate Mass of Ice Cube from Calorimetry Experiment

  • Thread starter Thread starter Myr73
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cube Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Myr73
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
A cube of ice is taken from the freezer at -8.5C and placed in a 95g aluminium calorimeter filled with 310g of water st room temperature of 20C. The final situation is observed to be all water at 17C. What was the mass of the ice cube?

C (al)= 900, C (water)= 4186, C (ice)= 2100

m(al)= 0.095kg, m(water) = 0.310kg, m (ice)= ??
T (ice)= -8.5 C,T(final)= 17C, Twater= 20C, I assume the temperature of the aluminium container is the same of the water at 20C so T(al)= 20C,

heat lost= heat gained

I got --> m(al)C(al){ Tal- Tf} + m(w) C(w) { Tw- Tf) = m(ice) C(ice) { Tf- Ti}.
And then of course I would derive the formula to find the missing m(ice). However I am not getting the right answer. Can someone show tell me what I neeed to change in the formula?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take into account the latent heat of the solid ←→ liquid phase change?
 
Oh, I forgot that, umm.. so I would add m(w) Lfusion on the left side and m(ice) Lfusion on the right ??
 
oh right I was thinking I needed it for the water, but it doesn't change state, SO + m(ice) Lfusion on the right side? Is the rest of my equation right?