1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate new boiling point with change post-pressure change

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Liquid X boils at 127C, at a pressure of 10.6*10^5 Pa. Its enthalpy of vaporization is 5000 J/mol. At what temperature will it boil if the pressure is raised to 1.08*10^5 Pa?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\frac{dT}{dP}=\frac{l}{T(v_{B}-v_{A})}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems so simple, but I don't know what to do about the specific volumes in the denominator. I have tried saying that because the second phase is a gas v_B>>v_A, neglecting v_A, then using the ideal gas equation to substitute for v_B = V_B/N = K*T_B/P_B.

I get T_B (final temp.) as about 4*10^13 K. Which has got to be way way off.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2
    Your Relevant Equation is incorrect. The left side is flipped upside down. Otherwise, you have the right idea.

Chet

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    Thank you. I have tried solving dt/dp*(ΔP)=ΔT for Tb, using the approximation above (ideal gas law, v_B >> v_A), but get Tb ≈ Ta. Because of the small size of Boltzman's constant, the term with it in the denominator dies.

[itex]\frac{dT}{dP} = \frac{k*T_{B}*T_{A}}{P_{B}*l}[/itex], It contains the initial temp. because I wanted the slope at the original temp.

[itex]\left\{\left\{\text{Tb}\to \frac{l \text{Pb} \text{Ta}}{k \text{Ta} (\text{Pa}-\text{Pb})+l \text{Pb}}\right\}\right\}[/itex]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. Oct 6, 2013 #4
    Ok I got it. I looked at the relevant Wikipedia article. My problem was that I was using the wrong form of the ideal gas equation, and substituting Vb/n = R*Tb/Pb instead of using the general R*T/P. If I am substituting for vb, I don't get why I use general values (then integrate), instead of using the constants (with subscript "b").

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5
    For a small change in pressure, it's OK, but, for a larger change in pressure, you have to integrate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted