Calculate photon flux at a distance from the source

In summary, a 100W sodium lamp, with a wavelength of 589nm, radiates energy uniformly in all directions. A totally absorbing screen will absorb photons at a rate of 1.00 photon/cm2.s at a distance of 4.85x10^7m from the lamp. The photon flux on a small screen 2m from the lamp is the same regardless of the screen's shape, as long as it is small compared to the distance from the lamp.
Munir M

Homework Statement

A 100W sodium lamp(lambda=589nm) radiates energy uniformly in all directions.

(A) At what distance from the lamp will a totally absorbing screen absorb photons at the rate of 1.00 photon/cm2.s?
(B) What is the photon flux on a small screen 2m from the lamp?

Homework Equations

E=hf
photon flux=#of photons/m2.s

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried relating the area of the absorbing surface to the distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Munir M said:

Homework Statement

A 100W sodium lamp(lambda=589nm) radiates energy uniformly in all directions.

(A) At what distance from the lamp will a totally absorbing screen absorb photons at the rate of 1.00 photon/cm2.s?
(B) What is the photon flux on a small screen 2m from the lamp?

Homework Equations

E=hf
photon flux=#of photons/m2.s

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried relating the area of the absorbing surface to the distance.
Can you show the details of your attempt?

gneill said:
Can you show the details of your attempt?
This is as far as I got. I tried drawing pyramids with square bases( the source being the tip of the pyramid and the absorbing surface being the square) as well.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Okay, your rate of photon production looks good.

The problem states that these photons are radiated in all directions uniformly. What kind of symmetry does that imply (what sort of surface would surround the source uniformly at some constant radial distance)?

gneill said:
Okay, your rate of photon production looks good.

The problem states that these photons are radiated in all directions uniformly. What kind of symmetry does that imply (what sort of surface would surround the source uniformly at some constant radial distance)?

The bulb is inside of a hollow sphere I assume? That being said I can't think of any equations that can relate the distance to a circle of 1cm2 in the sphere.

All you need to know is the rate that photons pass through a spherical surface of radius r. You have the rate of photon production, and you should be able to determine the total surface area of a sphere of radius r. Express it in square centimeters...

gneill said:
All you need to know is the rate that photons pass through a spherical surface of radius r. You have the rate of photon production, and you should be able to determine the total surface area of a sphere of radius r. Express it in square centimeters...
Thanks! I got the answer which was 4.85x10^7m.

As for the second part, I tried drawing a right-angled triangle with the distance being the longer non-hypotenuse. I'm assuming the screen is a square.

You can use the same method as in part a, only here you're given the radius as 2 meters. Find the flux in photons/cm2, then the geometry of the screen won't matter.

gneill said:
You can use the same method as in part a, only here you're given the radius as 2 meters. Find the flux in photons/cm2, then the geometry of the screen won't matter.
Thanks, I got the answer to that as well.

If you don't mind, I'm curious as to why the geometry doesn't matter though.

Thank you very much for all your help :)

Munir M said:
If you don't mind, I'm curious as to why the geometry doesn't matter though.
If the screen is small compared to the radius then its surface is all at approximately the same distance from the source. So all of its surface, regardless of shape, receives the same uniform flux. To be more rigorous one might consider the cross sectional area presented to the source to deal with angled surfaces or shadowed parts, but for a simple small flat surface facing the source, its shape (round, square, rectangular, etc) won't make a difference.

gneill said:
If the screen is small compared to the radius then its surface is all at approximately the same distance from the source. So all of its surface, regardless of shape, receives the same uniform flux. To be more rigorous one might consider the cross sectional area presented to the source to deal with angled surfaces or shadowed parts, but for a simple small flat surface facing the source, its shape (round, square, rectangular, etc) won't make a difference.
I see, thanks! :)

What is photon flux and how is it calculated?

Photon flux is the number of photons that pass through a unit area per unit time. It is calculated by dividing the power of the light source by the energy of a single photon, and then multiplying by the area of the surface that the photons are passing through.

What is the relationship between photon flux and distance from the source?

The intensity of photon flux decreases as the distance from the light source increases. This is because the same number of photons are spread over a larger area, resulting in a lower photon flux at a greater distance.

How do you determine the distance from the source given a specific photon flux?

The distance from the source can be determined by using the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of light decreases with the square of the distance from the source. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for distance using the known photon flux and the power of the light source.

Can photon flux be used to measure the brightness of a light source?

Yes, photon flux is a measure of the intensity of light and can be used to determine the brightness of a light source. However, it is important to note that different light sources can have the same photon flux but appear differently bright to the human eye due to differences in wavelength and the eye's sensitivity to different colors of light.

How does the distance from the source affect the accuracy of calculating photon flux?

The accuracy of calculating photon flux can be affected by the distance from the source. As the distance increases, the intensity of light decreases and can become too low to accurately measure. Additionally, factors such as atmospheric interference and the size of the light source can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.