1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power and rate of photon emission with a given temperature

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1
    Assuming that your surface temperature is 99.1 F and that you are an ideal blackbody radiator (you are close), find (a) the wavelength at which your spectral radiancy is maximum,(b) the power at which you emit thermal radiation in a wavelength range of 1.0 nm at that wavelength, from a surface area of 4.10 cm2, and (c) the corresponding rate at which you emit photons from that area. Using a wavelength of 500 nm (in the visible range), (d) recalculate the power and (e) the rate of photon emission. (As you have noticed, you do not visibly glow in the dark.)

Attempt
    i got a) by using wien's law, for the rest i don't know where to start

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can start fro the same source where you got Wein's displacement law.

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dear Wang,
    We forgot to welcome you to PF :smile: ! Sorry about that. Welcome !

Your two threads received similar responses and that started me wondering how we can help you effectively. Perhaps there is a culture issue on hand: here at PF we do all we can to help everyone in their efforts to learn while doing exercises, pondering questions and what not. But the principle is that the poster makes an effort (And I don't mean the effort of erasing the template -- if that's what happened in this thread).

That's why threads of the type "I don't know where to start" without further information are in fact very frustrating for potential helpers. It doesn't really help you if we show you how to do the exercise. So what we really need to help you is an idea of what you can do, how far you do get, what is really preventing you from taking the next sensible step, etcetera.

In short: we really want to help. So help us help you by giving us a clue what you need.
    Browse a few related or unrelated threads and check the guidelines to get an idea of how things work in PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted