1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate shadow path & size + object size based on distance

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1
    What are the variables I need to take in account if I want to calculate shadow path and size?

I will try to simplify my questions.

I have a 2d circle (radius: 28) which means the size of the circle (in box) is 56x56 at specific point (lets say 300,300).

I tell the 2d circle to go in specific path, lets say from 300,300 to 300,200.

I want to tell its shadow what path to do based on the 2d circle path.

ofcourse the size of the ball need to be calculated aswell..

I guess I need some extra variables because I am talking about 3d space in 2d.. (lets say the "sun" is always above the ball so u dont need to calculate its degrees from the "sun", only its distance)

I am pretty sure it's possible but I have no idea how to calculate and what extra variables I need...

Hopefully you understood what I want, if u didnt just tell me which part and I will try to re-explain or something.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook