Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate shadow path & size + object size based on distance

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1
    What are the variables I need to take in account if I want to calculate shadow path and size?

I will try to simplify my questions.

I have a 2d circle (radius: 28) which means the size of the circle (in box) is 56x56 at specific point (lets say 300,300).

I tell the 2d circle to go in specific path, lets say from 300,300 to 300,200.

I want to tell its shadow what path to do based on the 2d circle path.

ofcourse the size of the ball need to be calculated aswell..

I guess I need some extra variables because I am talking about 3d space in 2d.. (lets say the "sun" is always above the ball so u dont need to calculate its degrees from the "sun", only its distance)

I am pretty sure it's possible but I have no idea how to calculate and what extra variables I need...

Hopefully you understood what I want, if u didnt just tell me which part and I will try to re-explain or something.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook