1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate speed v in crossfield hall effect

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

metal strip 6.66 cm long, 1.11 cm wide, and 0.837 mm thick moves with constant velocity through a uniform magnetic field B = 1.55 mT directed perpendicular to the strip, as shown in Fig. 28-37. A potential difference of 2.99 µV is measured between points x and y across the strip. Calculate the speed v.

[​IMG]

Ok i know Fnet= qE+q(V x B) and then set equal to zero cause equilibrium and get E=-q x V

(the x means cross product)

So now explain to me Why E=Vb in this case. Then i use V=E/B to get my speed velocity. But i dont just understand why the negative sign is dropped of ? Is it because its absolute value or cause Electric Field is point from a + to a - potential, in the x-axis direction ?

Thanks for your help
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi th3plan,

The sign is different because the equations are two different things. The equation with the minus sign is a vector equation (it should be [itex]\vec E = - \vec v\times\vec B[/itex]); the other equation is only dealing with the magnitudes.

For example, suppose I am holding a weight W by applying a force F upwards. The vector equation for equilibrium would be

[tex]
    \vec F = -\vec W
    [/tex]
    which means that my applied force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the weight. If I wanted to calculate the magnitude of the force, I might write:

[tex]
    F = W
    [/tex]
    which just means [itex] | \vec F | = | \vec W|[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?