Calculate the acceleration due to gravity

In summary, the density of the rock is 4000 kg m−3 and is uniform throughout. The time it takes for a small object to fall from rest through a distance of 2.00 m is 8.0 s. Using the equation s=ut+1/2 at2, the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the rock can be calculated as 0.0625 m/s2. The initial velocity is 0 m/s and the answer should be given to 3 significant figures.
imy786

Homework Statement

density, ρ of the rock is 4000 kg m−3 and that this density is uniform throughout. You have equipment that enables you to measure the time it takes for a small object to fall from rest through a distance of 2.00 m. Your measurement is 8.0 s.

(a) Calculate the acceleration due to gravity ga at the surface of the rock.
ga is constant for the drop in the experiment

Homework Equations

t=8
ρ=4000
s=2
a=?

s=ut+1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

well i can't work out the acceleration as i don't know the velocity.
Need help on this...

Physics news on Phys.org
It says "fall from rest". What does this tell you about the initial velocity?

t=8
ρ=4000
s=2
a=?
u=0

s=ut+1/2 at2
2= 32 a
a=0.0625 m/s2

Sure, looks fine.

to how many significant figues should i give the answer to...
if i have been given time and distance to 3.s.f...should i also give the final answer to s.3.f?

What is the formula for calculating acceleration due to gravity?

The formula for calculating the acceleration due to gravity is a = GM/r^2, where a is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

What is the value of acceleration due to gravity on Earth?

The value of acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2). This value may vary slightly depending on the location and altitude.

How does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

The acceleration due to gravity on different planets varies based on their mass and radius. For example, it is much stronger on larger planets, such as Jupiter, and much weaker on smaller planets, such as Mercury.

How is acceleration due to gravity related to mass and distance?

The acceleration due to gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the larger object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects. This means that as the mass of the larger object increases, the acceleration due to gravity also increases, while as the distance between the two objects increases, the acceleration due to gravity decreases.

Can the acceleration due to gravity be negative?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity can be negative if the direction of acceleration is opposite to the direction of the gravitational force. This can occur in scenarios such as when an object is thrown upwards and is experiencing a downward gravitational force.