Torque on a Beam Due to Gravity

In summary: So you can take the force to be 3.89kg at the midpoint.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque on a rigid beam due to gravity. The original calculation used the formula r * F * sin(theta), resulting in an incorrect answer due to a typo. It is then suggested to take the force acting at the center of mass of the beam, which would divide the radius into halves. The conversation concludes with a discussion on how to calculate torque for a uniform beam by considering small elements and integrating along the beam.
cs44167
Homework Statement
A rigid beam of mass 7.78 kg and length 1.44 m is fixed at point P, around which the beam rotated (P is at the far leftmost point of the beam). What is torque on the beam due to gravity only?
Relevant Equations
Torque = r*F*sin (theta)
w = mg
I tried using r * f * sin theta and calculated this:

1.14 m * 9.80 m/s/s * 7.78 kg = 109.7 N*m

this was wrong; I needed three significant figures so I did 1.10E2 N*m which was also wrong.

Since the torque is due to gravity; would it be -1.10E2 N*m since it’s angle is -270° which is -1?

Physics news on Phys.org
cs44167 said:
Homework Statement:: A rigid beam of mass 7.78 kg and length 1.44 m is fixed at point P, around which the beam rotated (P is at the far leftmost point of the beam). What is torque on the beam due to gravity only?
Homework Equations:: Torque = r*F*sin (theta)
w = mg

I tried using r * f * sin theta and calculated this:

1.14 m * 9.80 m/s/s * 7.78 kg = 109.7 N*m

this was wrong; I needed three significant figures so I did 1.10E2 N*m which was also wrong.

Since the torque is due to gravity; would it be -1.10E2 N*m since it’s angle is -270° which is -1?
Where did 1.14m come from in your calculation? A typo of 1.44m? And the force acts at the center of mass for the beam, not at the end of it... :smile:

Likes PhanthomJay
berkeman said:
Where did 1.14m come from in your calculation? A typo of 1.44m? And the force acts at the center of mass for the beam, not at the end of it... :smile:
Yes, the 1.14 was a typo - it should’ve been 1.44 which I had in my calculations.

What does it mean for the force to act at the center? Would that divide the radius into halves?

Yes. It's hard to be sure without seeing the figure that has the problem, but if it's a simple horizontal cantilever beam supported only at the left side, and the beam is uniform density, then its COM is halfway out.

Likes PhanthomJay
Is it like this?

https://media.cheggcdn.com/study/c0c/c0c63894-f03d-4021-9d86-9b6660f0bd54/DC-785V1.png

1578867166102.png

cs44167 said:
What does it mean for the force to act at the center?
What you calculated is for the case where the beam is weightless except for a 7.78kg mass at its free end. Clearly that will create more torque than a uniform beam would.
In principle, one should consider the beam made of small elements of length dx, find the torque due to each, and integrate along the beam.
But you can see what the answer will be just by taking these elements in pairs: a small element length dx at distance x from the fixed end, plus an element length dx at x from the free end will exert the same torque as two such elements in the middle.

Likes berkeman

What is torque on a beam due to gravity?

Torque on a beam due to gravity is the force that causes rotation or twisting on a beam due to the gravitational pull of the Earth. It is a measure of the force that is applied at a distance from the axis of rotation.

What factors affect the torque on a beam due to gravity?

The torque on a beam due to gravity is affected by the weight of the beam, the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the beam is positioned with respect to the ground.

How is torque on a beam due to gravity calculated?

The torque on a beam due to gravity is calculated by multiplying the weight of the beam by the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation and by the sine of the angle between the beam and the ground.

Why is torque on a beam due to gravity important?

Understanding torque on a beam due to gravity is important in engineering and construction, as it helps determine the stability and strength of structures. It is also important in physics and mechanics, as it is a fundamental concept in the study of forces and motion.

How can torque on a beam due to gravity be minimized?

To minimize torque on a beam due to gravity, the weight of the beam can be reduced, the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation can be decreased, or the angle of the beam can be adjusted to be more parallel to the ground.