Calculate the angular velocity of the milk carton

In summary: Thanks for the help. In summary, the homework equation states that the angular velocity is 9.15 rad/s.
javii

Homework Statement

upload_2017-4-19_13-49-19.png

upload_2017-4-19_13-50-6.png

Homework Equations

upload_2017-4-19_13-49-54.png

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-4-19_13-50-35.png

Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
javii said:
Is it correct?
No. You need to use the moment of inertia about the corner of the carton and you need to find the correct height of the center of mass when tipping occurs.

Maybe this problem does not intend to involve the full complexity of this situation, but milk cartons are not "full" of liquid, even when new. The movement of the liquid inside the carton would need to be accounted for in a full solution, IMO.

berkeman said:
The movement of the liquid inside the carton would need to be accounted for in a full solution, IMO.
That is true, but since no mention is made in the problem about liquid in the carton, we may assume that it is empty. It could an empty carton on a cafeteria conveyor belt on its way to the trash disposal area. :smile:

On edit: Of course, the moment of inertia of an empty carton is more complicated to calculate.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Maybe this problem does not intend to involve the full complexity of this situation, but milk cartons are not "full" of liquid, even when new. The movement of the liquid inside the carton would need to be accounted for in a full solution, IMO.
It's also an issue for cartons that are full. The milk would tend to rotate internally in the opposite direction.
But an earlier part of the question says to ignore any sloshing around https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/calculate-the-maximum-acceleration-of-a-milk-carton.911818/.

There is another complication. Is it easily shown that the carton does not lose contact with the ground?

Last edited:
Likes javii and berkeman
kuruman said:
No. You need to use the moment of inertia about the corner of the carton and you need to find the correct height of the center of mass when tipping occurs.
So, the formula i have to use is:
1/3*m*(b^2+l^2)?

and when i use that one i get
upload_2017-4-20_12-33-26.png

which leads me to:

upload_2017-4-20_12-34-23.png

so the angular velocity is 9.15 rad/s ?

javii said:
So, the formula i have to use is:
1/3*m*(b^2+l^2)?

and when i use that one i get
View attachment 196008
Why are you dividing the 0.195 by 2 but not the 0.07?

javii said:
which leads me to:

upload_2017-4-20_12-34-23-png.196009.png
And why do you think the CM is at height ##\frac{0.195}{2}~m## just before the carton tips over? That's its height when the carton sits flat on the conveyor belt.

Likes haruspex
haruspex said:
Why are you dividing the 0.195 by 2 but not the 0.07?
For me, it is obvious that I have to divide 0.195 with 2, but I am not sure if 0.07 also have to be divided with 2 since the carton is
skewed.
So your are saying, that I also have to divide 0.07 with 2?

javii said:
So your are saying, that I also have to divide 0.07 with 2?
Yes, but it is important to understand why. Start with ##I_{CM}=\frac{1}{12}M(l^2+a^2)## and apply the parallel axes theorem. Try using symbols, not numbers. What do you get?

kuruman said:
Yes, but it is important to understand why. Start with ##I_{CM}=\frac{1}{12}M(l^2+a^2)## and apply the parallel axes theorem. Try using symbols, not numbers. What do you get?

I_p= 1/12M(l^2+a^2)+M+d^2

I_p=1/12M*l^2+1/12*a^2+M+d^2 ?

kuruman said:
And why do you think the CM is at height ##\frac{0.195}{2}~m## just before the carton tips over? That's its height when the carton sits flat on the conveyor belt.
I see, it is a mistake by me. Its just the height.
Thanks

javii said:
I_p= 1/12M(l^2+a^2)+M+d^2

I_p=1/12M*l^2+1/12*a^2+M+d^2 ?
I assume you mean Md2, not M+d2.
What is d2 in terms of l and a?

javii said:
I see, it is a mistake by me. Its just the height.
Thanks
So what do you get now for the vertical displacement of the mass centre?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt.

3. What information is needed to calculate the angular velocity of a milk carton?

To calculate the angular velocity of a milk carton, you will need the change in angle (θ) and the change in time (t).

4. Why is it important to calculate the angular velocity of a milk carton?

Calculating the angular velocity of a milk carton can help in understanding its motion and how it may affect other objects around it. For example, if the milk carton is spinning at a high angular velocity, it may cause the contents inside to spill or create a dangerous situation if it collides with other objects.

5. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction, or clockwise, compared to a positive angular velocity which indicates a counterclockwise rotation.