Calculate the approximate frequency of the C-H bond

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
hot2moli
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Calculate the approximate frequency of the C-H bond, with the force constant of k = 500 N/m.

Use:
Frequency = (1/2pi) Sqrt(k/((m1m2)/(m1 m2)))

BUTT WHAT DO I USE FOR MY MASS VALUES??
I tried, 12.011g/mol and 1.01g/mol and that is incorrect.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Hi hot2moli,

hot2moli said:
Calculate the approximate frequency of the C-H bond, with the force constant of k = 500 N/m.

Use:
Frequency = (1/2pi) Sqrt(k/((m1m2)/(m1 m2)))

You're missing a plus sign in this formula. Is that just a typo?

BUTT WHAT DO I USE FOR MY MASS VALUES??
I tried, 12.011g/mol and 1.01g/mol and that is incorrect.

Well, those aren't masses; they don't have the right units. (Those are the factors to connect number of moles of carbon atoms to number of grams of carbon atoms, and the same for hydrogen.) The C-H bond is connecting two atoms, so you need the masses of those two atoms. How do you get the mass of a carbon atom, and the mass of a hydrogen atom? Do you see what units they have to be in?
 


Yes I understand but since its 1:1 you can just multiply it by 1mol correct? Then it's 12.01g and 1.01g?? Which is my method of solving but evidently incorrect... therefore how do you find the masses?
 


hot2moli said:
Yes I understand but since its 1:1 you can just multiply it by 1mol correct? Then it's 12.01g and 1.01g?? Which is my method of solving but evidently incorrect... therefore how do you find the masses?

That's the first step; to determine that there is 12.01 grams in a mole of carbon atoms, and 1.01 grams in a mole of hydrogen atoms.

Next, how many atoms are in a mole of atoms? Once you know that, since you know 1 mole of Carbon has 12.01 grams, you can find the mass of just one atom of Carbon. Then do the same for hydrgoren.

Also, note that the force constant is given in N/m. Since a Newton is a kg m/s^2, you'll need to get the mass of the carbon and oxygen atoms in kilograms. What do you get?