Calculate the average amount of power that the heart delivers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Hangst
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



When a human heart during a heartbeat pulls together the overpressure in the outwardgoing arteries is about 16 kPa. Every minute the heart drives 5 liters of blood around in the bloodstream.

Calculate the average amount of power that the heart delivers

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not entirely sure how to tackle this question. I'm trying to figure out the energy as power is energy pr. time. Also, I'm not entirely sure what to do with the pressure, I'm thinking I have to convert it into something to do with energy. Sorry about the poor translation but that is as best as I can do. I'd appreciate some help but not the actual question done so I can attempt it myself.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy = Work = Force x displacement

Force = Pressure x Area

Area x Displacement = ?
 
Dickfore said:
Energy = Work = Force x displacement

Force = Pressure x Area

Area x Displacement = ?

Not sure what you mean by displacement. Lost in translation I guess :l
 
Hangst said:
Not sure what you mean by displacement. Lost in translation I guess :l

How far the blood travels or? And I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use this.
 
Dickfore said:
Energy = Work = Force x displacement

Force = Pressure x Area

Area x Displacement = ?

Perhaps you could show me what to do, and maybe I will understand it then?