1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the average amount of power that the heart delivers

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When a human heart during a heartbeat pulls together the overpressure in the outwardgoing arteries is about 16 kPa. Every minute the heart drives 5 liters of blood around in the bloodstream.

Calculate the average amount of power that the heart delivers

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not entirely sure how to tackle this question. I'm trying to figure out the energy as power is energy pr. time. Also, I'm not entirely sure what to do with the pressure, I'm thinking I have to convert it into something to do with energy. Sorry about the poor translation but that is as best as I can do. I'd appreciate some help but not the actual question done so I can attempt it myself.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2
    Energy = Work = Force x displacement

Force = Pressure x Area

Area x Displacement = ?

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    Not sure what you mean by displacement. Lost in translation I guess :l

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4
    How far the blood travels or? And I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use this.

6. Oct 22, 2012 #5
    Perhaps you could show me what to do, and maybe I will understand it then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook