1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the Average Surface Temperature of Earth

Tags:
  1. Mar 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Earth receives on average about 390 W m−2 of radiant thermal energy from the Sun, averaged over the whole of the Earth. It radiates an equal amount back into space, maintaining a thermal equilibrium that keeps the average temperature on Earth the same. Assuming the Earth is a perfect emitter of radiant energy (e = 1), estimate the average surface temperature of the Earth in °C

2. Relevant equations
    P = eσAT^4
    P ∝ T^4
    λmaxT = 2.898 × 10−3 m K
    3. Attempt
    I've tried all these formulas, but I'm not getting anywhere. Am I supposed to know the surface area of the Earth because I feel like it's impossible without it

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2
    Assume the area of the earth to be ##A##, a variable. What, then, is the total power incident on the earth's surface?

4. Mar 12, 2016 #3
    Is the 390 m^-2 relevant for the equation. Should that be stated as the P value or should it just be 390W

5. Mar 12, 2016 #4
    Do you know what intensity is? It's formula? It's unit?

6. Mar 12, 2016 #5
    I've realized how to do it. The Power is average for each m^2 of earth. That means the surface area should be 1m^2 and the Power should be 390.
    By subbing everything in, you get an average surface temperature of 288 Kelvin or 15°C

7. Mar 12, 2016 #6
    More appropriate wording would be - an average of 390W of power is incident per sq.m on the surface of the earth. This is what you mean, right?

And congratulations, on having solved the problem:smile:

8. Mar 12, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's the right answer with the given information, but 390 W/m2 is too high. Should be more like 340.
    Taking the 30% albedo into account as well would bring the temperature down to 255K, which is the standard result.

9. Mar 12, 2016 #8
    Thanks for the info!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted