How much energy does the Earth radiate to space?

In summary, the Earth's temperature is "all over the place" depending on which web site, college, governmental agency or science club you look at. If you pick an Earth temperature, you can calculate the power.
Vector1962

Homework Statement

How much energy is radiated from the Earth to space?
AE = Area of Earth
εE = Emissivity of Earth
TE = Temperature of Earth
Tsp = Temperature of Space
Tsp = 2.7 K (off of NASA web page)

Homework Equations

P = AE εE σ (TE4 - Tsp4)

The Attempt at a Solution

Isn't the relevant equation the answer to the question? The average temperature of the Earth is "all over the place" depending on which web site, college, governmental agency or science club you look at. If I picked an temperature of the earth, then I could calc. the power correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vector1962 said:
Isn't the relevant equation the answer to the question? The average temperature of the Earth is "all over the place" depending on which web site, college, governmental agency or science club you look at. If I picked an temperature of the earth, then I could calc. the power correct?
Correct. This looks like an "order of magnitude" calculation. Pick a temperature and see what power of 10 you get. Then you will have a feeling of big it is.

First of all, appreciate the reply.

kuruman said:
Correct. This looks like an "order of magnitude" calculation. Pick a temperature and see what power of 10 you get. Then you will have a feeling of big it is.
Suppose I don't know the average temp of the Earth, and suppose "incoming energy" is holding the average temperature of Earth at TE; If I knew the incoming energy from the sun, would Efrom sun = AE εE σ (TE4 - Tsp4)

Vector1962 said:
Suppose I don't know the average temp of the Earth, and suppose "incoming energy" is holding the average temperature of Earth at TE; If I knew the incoming energy from the sun, would Efrom sun = AE εE σ (TE4 - Tsp4)
Under the assumption that all the energy coming from the Sun is re-radiated back into space, yes. Is that a good assumption?

If all the energy from the Sun is re-radiated back into space, then the calculated TE would be maximum?

Vector1962 said:
If all the energy from the Sun is re-radiated back into space, then the calculated TE would be maximum?
No. It will be an equilibrium temperature.

Again, appreciate your reply.
I think I see that it would be an equilibrium temperature. If Earths orbit around Sun is assumed circular then the energy delivered to the Earth is constant; I don't see why the TE calculate wouldn't be both equilibrium and maximum? Of course, orbit is elliptical but just going for concept here.

"Maximum" means "it can increase no more." In this oversimplified model, the temperature of the Earth will increase if the temperature of the Sun increases for whatever reason. It's not like boiling water that has a maximum temperature of 100 oC regardless of how much heat you are putting in. Why the average temperature of the Earth is what it is and where it is headed is, as you know, a complicated issue that has been highly politicized in the recent past.

Ahhh... I see. Only "maximum" if energy input is constant (at its maximum) and unchanging. No politics please. Just going for understanding. I think I have what I'm looking for. Appreciate your time.

What is the Stefan-Boltzmann Equation?

The Stefan-Boltzmann equation is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between the temperature and the total energy emitted by a blackbody (a theoretical object that absorbs all incoming light). It is named after the scientists who first derived it, Joseph Stefan and Ludwig Boltzmann.

What is the significance of the Stefan-Boltzmann Equation?

The Stefan-Boltzmann equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the amount of energy emitted by a blackbody at a certain temperature. This is useful in many areas of physics, including astrophysics and thermodynamics. It also helps us understand the behavior of light and heat in various systems.

What is the mathematical formula for the Stefan-Boltzmann Equation?

The Stefan-Boltzmann equation can be written as E = σT^4, where E is the total energy emitted by a blackbody, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (equal to 5.67 x 10^-8 W/m^2K^4), and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This equation shows that the energy emitted by a blackbody increases rapidly with temperature.

What are the limitations of the Stefan-Boltzmann Equation?

The Stefan-Boltzmann equation is only applicable to blackbodies, which are theoretical objects that absorb all incoming light. In reality, most objects are not perfect blackbodies and therefore do not emit energy according to this equation. Additionally, the equation assumes that the blackbody is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that the energy it absorbs is equal to the energy it emits.

How is the Stefan-Boltzmann Equation used in real-world applications?

The Stefan-Boltzmann equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of solar panels, in the study of stars and other celestial bodies, and in the development of thermodynamic systems. It also helps us understand the radiation balance of the Earth and plays a crucial role in climate science.