Calculate the change in entropy of the universe

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Harmony
Messages
201
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the change in entropy of the universe as a result of the following process:

A copper block of mass 0.4 kg and heat capacity 150 JK-1 at 1000C is placed in a lake at 100C.


2. The attempt at a solution

change in entropy (copper) = mc ln (T2 / T1)

change in entropy (lake) = mc ( T1 - T2 ) / T2

where T1 = 373 K, T2 = 283 K.

The answer given is 6.3 JK-1. which is differ from the answer I got. May I know if i have done any careless mistake?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Carry your units through the calculation and you'll see.
 
Thanks a lot Mapes! I never realize that it is heat capacity instead of specific heat capcity (as they give us mass in the question). :)