Find change in entropy for a system with a series of reservoirs

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the change in entropy of material in contact with a reservoir and the change in entropy of the reservoir itself. The formula for the change in entropy of the material is given and the desired formula for the change in entropy of the reservoir is provided in the book. The conversation also mentions that for an ideal constant-temperature reservoir, the change in entropy is always equal to the heat capacity divided by the reservoir temperature.
mcas
Homework Statement
A material is brought from temperature ##T_i## to temperature##T_f## by placing
it in contact with a series of ##N## reservoirs at temperatures ##T_i + \Delta T##, ##T_i + 2\Delta T##, ..., ##T_i + N \Delta T = T_f##. Assuming that the heat capacity of the material,
C, is temperature independent, calculate the entropy change of the total
system, material plus reservoirs. What is the entropy change in the limit
##N \rightarrow \infty## for fixed ##T_f - T_i##?
Relevant Equations
##dS = \frac{1}{T} Q_{reversibile}##
I've calculated the change in the entropy of material after it comes in contact with the reservoir:

$$\Delta S_1 = C \int_{T_i+t\Delta T}^{T_i+(t+1)\Delta T} \frac{dT}{T} = C \ln{\frac{T_i+(t+1)\Delta T}{T_i+t\Delta T}}$$

Now I would like to calculate the change in the entropy of the reservoir. The answer in the book is:

$$\Delta S_2 = -\frac{C\Delta T}{T_i + (t+1)\Delta T}$$
And I don't know where this answer comes from. How am I supposed to find the change in entropy if I don't know what is the heat capacity of the reservoir?

Physics news on Phys.org
For an ideal constant-temperature reservoir, the change in entropy is always $$\Delta S=\frac{Q}{T_R}$$ where ##T_R## is the reservoir temperature.

Likes mcas
Chestermiller said:
For an ideal constant-temperature reservoir, the change in entropy is always $$\Delta S=\frac{Q}{T_R}$$ where ##T_R## is the reservoir temperature.

Thank you! I didn't know that.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the distribution of energy within a system.

2. How is entropy related to the concept of change?

Entropy change refers to the change in the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a measure of how the distribution of energy within the system has changed over time.

3. Why is it important to calculate the change in entropy for a system with a series of reservoirs?

The change in entropy for a system with a series of reservoirs is important because it helps us understand the flow of energy and how it affects the overall disorder of the system. This information can be used to make predictions and analyze the behavior of the system.

4. How is the change in entropy calculated for a system with a series of reservoirs?

The change in entropy for a system with a series of reservoirs can be calculated using the formula ΔS = Σ(Q/T), where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat transferred, and T is the temperature at which the heat is transferred.

5. What factors can affect the change in entropy for a system with a series of reservoirs?

The change in entropy for a system with a series of reservoirs can be affected by factors such as the amount of energy transferred, the temperature at which the transfer occurs, and the number and type of reservoirs in the system.