1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the Curl of a Velocity vector field

1. Dec 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The velocity of a solid object rotating about an axis is a field [tex]\bar{v} (x,y,z)[/tex]
    Show that [tex]\bar{\bigtriangledown }\times \bar{v} = 2\,\bar{\omega }[/tex], where [tex]\bar{\omega }[/tex] is the angular velocity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use the Stoke's theorem using an infinitesimal element with trapezoidal shape, but i was stuck with calculations. Which is the best way to resolve the equation ? It would be fantastic if you could explain me the geometric intuition behind the problem

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2017 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

Just use the relationship ##\vec{v}(x,y,z)=\vec{\omega}\times(x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}+z\vec{k})## and some identities of vector calculus about the curl operator.

The main identity you ll use is the first one found here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curl_(mathematics)#Identities. Notice that you ll treat ##\vec{\omega}## as a constant vector in this identity so it will be ##\nabla\cdot\vec{\omega}=0## , ##\vec{F}\cdot\nabla \vec{\omega}=0## e.t.c

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  4. Dec 3, 2017 #3
    Thanks so much =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted