1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the curl of velocity in spherical coordinates

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The angular velocity vector of a rigid object rotating about the z-axis is given by
    ω = ω z-hat. At any point in the rotating object, the linear velocity vector is given by v = ω X r, where r is the position vector to that point.

a.) Assuming that ω is constant, evaluate v and X v in cylindrical coordinates.

b.) Evaluate v in spherical coordinates.

c.) Evaluate the curl of v in spherical coordinates and show that the resulting expression is equivalent to that given for X v in part a.
    2. Relevant equations
    The expressions for the curl in cylindrical and spherical coordinates. Since I don't know how to put the determinant here ill just leave them out.

For spherical

x = r sinθ cosΦ

y = r sinθ sinΦ

z = r cos θ

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I worked out part a correctly (I think) which is in the attachment, but I'm stuck on part b.

b.) So for this part I have to convert ω to spherical coordinates. Since ω only lies along the z-axis, that means that Φ and θ are equal to zero, so

ω = ω r-hat

and the position vector in spherical polars is

R =
    r r-hat

so that means that when I cross ω and R I get zero, I don't know what I'm missing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

part (a) looks good.
    Go to an arbitrary point in space and try to write ω in terms of the unit vectors ##\hat{r}##, ##\hat{\theta}##, and ##\hat{\phi}## at that point.

OK

4. Feb 4, 2017 #3
    Is there some resource you can point me to so I can learn how to type out symbols and equations neatly like you just did?

I can't really picture it in the way you're asking me too. What if I substitute z-hat = r-hat cosθ - θ-hat sinθ?

5. Feb 4, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
    You can learn a lot by just examining how others have used Latex in their posts. That's how I picked it up. I still have a lot to learn.

Yes, that's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted