1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the difference between two gradients

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1
    Hello all

I am new to this forum and my math is very weak and thus was hoping someone could shed some light on the following:-

I have two right triangles:-
    Triangle1 - Length(x) is 4 and Height (Y) is 5
    Triangle2 - Length (x) is 6 and Height (Y) is 2

Calculate the change of gradient between the two triagnles and express the result in the form 1 in x.

Could someone shed some light on how you would solve this.

(i get 1 in 1.090909 - but i have been informed that this is incorrect. Can someone help)

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, this has nothing to do with "Linear and Abstract Algebra" so I am moving it to general mathematics.

Second, simply giving "length" and "height" does not determine a triangle.

Third, I don't know what you mean by the "gradient" of a triangle.

Are you assuming these are right triangles and really asking for the gradient of the hypotenuse? If so,the gradient is simply "height" divided by "length". The gradient of the first is 5/4 and of the second 2/6= 1/3. The "change in gradient" is from 5/4 to 1/3 which we can do by multiplying by 4/15.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook