Calculate the difference between two gradients

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
That is, in the first triangle, for every 4 units of length, the height increases by 5 units. In the second triangle, for every 6 units of length, the height increases by 2 units. The "change in gradient" is that, for every 4 units of length, the height increases by 5 units in the first triangle but by only 2 units in the second triangle.In summary, the question is asking for the change in gradient between two right triangles, with lengths and heights given, expressed in the form 1 in x. The gradient is determined by dividing the height by the length, and the change in gradient is calculated by multiplying by the ratio of the lengths and heights of the
tomtomtom1
Hello all

I am new to this forum and my math is very weak and thus was hoping someone could shed some light on the following:-

I have two right triangles:-
Triangle1 - Length(x) is 4 and Height (Y) is 5
Triangle2 - Length (x) is 6 and Height (Y) is 2

Calculate the change of gradient between the two triagnles and express the result in the form 1 in x.

Could someone shed some light on how you would solve this.

(i get 1 in 1.090909 - but i have been informed that this is incorrect. Can someone help)

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, this has nothing to do with "Linear and Abstract Algebra" so I am moving it to general mathematics.

Second, simply giving "length" and "height" does not determine a triangle.

Third, I don't know what you mean by the "gradient" of a triangle.

Are you assuming these are right triangles and really asking for the gradient of the hypotenuse? If so,the gradient is simply "height" divided by "length". The gradient of the first is 5/4 and of the second 2/6= 1/3. The "change in gradient" is from 5/4 to 1/3 which we can do by multiplying by 4/15.

1. What is the formula for calculating the difference between two gradients?

The formula for calculating the difference between two gradients is (m1 - m2), where m1 and m2 are the two gradients.

2. How do I determine which gradient is larger?

The gradient that has a larger numerical value is considered to be larger.

3. Can the difference between two gradients be negative?

Yes, the difference between two gradients can be negative if the second gradient is larger than the first one.

4. Is there a specific unit for the difference between two gradients?

No, the difference between two gradients is simply a numerical value and does not have a specific unit of measurement.

5. In what situations would I need to calculate the difference between two gradients?

You may need to calculate the difference between two gradients when comparing the slope of two lines, determining the rate of change between two data points, or analyzing the change in a variable over time.